Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI splitter and DVI adapter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased an HDMI splitter (this one to be exact) to mirror an HDMI input onto a TV and my monitor. The splitter works fine when plugging it into two HDMI devices, but it seems to have issues when plugging it in through a DVI adapter to my monitor. On one monitor, it just doesn't work (it attempts to show an image, but then goes back to a "no DVI connected" message). On another monitor, it flashes a scrambled image about once a second. 

I can hook up my computer via HDMI through the DVI adapter and it shows up fine on my monitor, but if I add the splitter between them, it stops working.

I'm really confused why adding an adapter would cause this issue, especially since (as far as I understand) DVI is the exact same as HDMI but without audio.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this work, or at least an explanation as to why it doesn't?

Thanks,

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

This problem has become a headache for many.  The protocol standards for DVI and the standards for HDMI are not really compatible.  The computer drives the monitor on DVI and the HDMI connects to the TV.  I have been searching for a reasonable priced 20 inch monitor, full 1080P, with HDMI input.  OR  a 20 inch HDTV, full 1080P to replace my current 21 inch widescreen (900 X 1440) that is 6 years old and takes a long time to warm up.  Most HDTV around 20 inch are only 720P and I haven't seen a monitor with an HDMI input.

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

This problem has become a headache for many.  The protocol standards for DVI and the standards for HDMI are not really compatible.  The computer drives the monitor on DVI and the HDMI connects to the TV.  I have been searching for a reasonable priced 20 inch monitor, full 1080P, with HDMI input.  OR  a 20 inch HDTV, full 1080P to replace my current 21 inch widescreen (900 X 1440) that is 6 years old and takes a long time to warm up.  Most HDTV around 20 inch are only 720P and I haven't seen a monitor with an HDMI input.

I'm using an Asus 21.5 inch LED VE228H Monitor that has 1080p HDMI input.  It's connected to an HDMI switcher to use with my Desktop or Laptop PC's.

The current price is about $135  U.S. at Amazon and Newegg.

#4 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

But the adapter works fine when I plug in a device directly. Why should the splitter be any different than a regular device with HDMI output?

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

Probably it cuts the power of the signal in half, and it's not enough for the adapter.

Does your video card only have 1 out??

#6 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Probably it cuts the power of the signal in half, and it's not enough for the adapter.

Does your video card only have 1 out??

The reason for the splitter is because I want to hook up a console to both a TV and a monitor (so the image can be viewed on both at the same time). So, it does only have the one HDMI output.

The splitter is powered so I would think the power wouldn't be reduced any (what's the point in being powered then?) Would it help to find another adapter with a higher current or something?

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

What happens when you unplug the TV and go Console->Splitter->HDMI-DVI-adapter->monitor (and just have the 2nd hdmi off the splitter hanging there). I bet it doesn't work?

What happens if you plug the splitter into the console and then into two HDMI devices? Does it work then?

Probably not going to be able to make this work, and your best bet is to buy a monitor with hdmi input.

#8 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

What happens when you unplug the TV and go Console->Splitter->HDMI-DVI-adapter->monitor (and just have the 2nd hdmi off the splitter hanging there). I bet it doesn't work?

What happens if you plug the splitter into the console and then into two HDMI devices? Does it work then?

Probably not going to be able to make this work, and your best bet is to buy a monitor with hdmi input.

If I only plug in one of the outputs, it still does the same. 

It does work fine when I plug both outputs into two HDMI devices, it only doesn't work when I introduce the adapter. 

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

Is the DVI adapter HDCP compatible? I ask because it could be an HDCP issue. The console (what kind of console?) might use HDCP.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

If memory servers, the break between 1440/1600x900 and 1920x1080/1200 resolution monitors happens at around the 21" to 22" monitor size. Below that size, you will be stuck with a maximum resolution of 1440/1600x900…kind of similar to how HDTVs of 32" or smaller are typically 720p (you can find some 1080p 32", but below 32" becomes much more rare).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users