Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

endless chain of repeats = folder application data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gamla7

gamla7

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hello = While I used win explorer in Vista I discovered in " C:\users\<user>\local settings\Application Data  " an endless return (complete copy) of the folder+content (folders and files) "Application Data"  -  I counted at least 14 copies and was not in the end yet.

I googled this event and found no info upon this -to me- very weird situation.  Can anyone give me more info on this situation ? And I guess this has to be cured - but where to start ?  Is it related to shadow filing ?  I cleaned the complete shadow build up but it had no effect upon this folder.

The ( An) Application data-folder is also available in the directory <user> but the vista system did not allow me "administrator - full owner" to open that folder.

I have no (only micro) knowledge of the Vista system.  I used Mbam for a complete malware scan = clean.

Hoping for a light in dark - Gam. 

============================================================================================================

Addicted to my portable T42 [xp] and a Desk PC with mobo Asus P5WD2 E PREMIUM [vista] - both operational in older OS but want to add both onto Linux.  All my application software works perfect in the XP environment. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

Can you just delete them and see if they come back or not?

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

That would be dangerous. Instead, make a restore point, take ownership of the folder, and set the "Everyone" user to have full access.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

While this sounds strange, I'm wondering how much of a problem it is.  What is the size of the containing folder?  If it's gobbling up large portions of your C: drive, that's a problem, but if it's not you might not need to worry about it.  It's not that hard to dig down through stuff on your hard drive and find something you don't understand, but is it worth doing?  Other than being strange, what is the problem this is causing?  Food for thought.  :wink:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

that is a symbolic link that links into C:\users\<user>\appdata folder generally when you have a clean install of vista permissions to look into these folders is denied.  At some point in time the permissions on your directory have been changed. Now it looks like infinite directories but those directories are just stuff you should be seeing (or shouldn't have had access to in the first place).  It is there for backwards compatibility for xp programs. Kinda like you still have a c:\documents and settings folder (you shouldn't be able to look into those folders either by the way).

read more about it here

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/115149-stop-application-data-folder-replicating.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users