Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installation problem over ubuntu 12.04

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shivam98680

shivam98680

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

I had Ubuntu 12.04 on my new Laptop. But I wanted Windows 7. Everything was normal in the process of installation. but just when the first phase of installation completed and the laptop restarted then infinitely many white underscore or dash appeared on screen everywhere. please help me!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Welcome,

What preparation did you make for the windows installation? Did you uninstall Ubuntu before trying to install windows?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Linux handles bad ram better than windows from what I have seen. I had linux running on a machine for 2 years and had no idea I had a bad stick of ram until I tried to load windows, when I tried to load windows, I got a BSOD every time, ran memtest86 and sure enough I had a bad stick (it was a very bad stick with many errors). I recommend you run memtest86. Download and burn the file below to a disc and then boot the computer to the disc. I would run at least 3 passes which will take a few hours depending on how much ram you have.

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

If your ram tests fine (no errors) then try to get a screen shot of what was happening possibly with a phone camera etc.

Edited by zingo156, 08 May 2014 - 03:25 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 shivam98680

shivam98680
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

@Dick E Ubuntu 12.04 was pre installed on my hp probook. So I just went though the windows 7 installation and deleted the partition containing ubuntu. So. I didnt uninstall ubuntu before installing. :'(

#5 shivam98680

shivam98680
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   86.9KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   81.67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   132.99KB   0 downloads few screenshots now the second one is the problem one...the infinite white dash

#6 shivam98680

shivam98680
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

@zingo156 Ram is good. its 4 GB. Actually my friend has same laptop with same config. and he was able to install windows 7 over ubuntu. Somewhere in creating partition I think I also deleted the "Disk 0 partition 6" It had something, but i cant be sure. :( :( :( So would it have made any difference? Please help :'(

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hi,

Try

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

I think there's a free version. Eliminate everything on the hard drive and then try the windows installation

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

As dicke suggested, try deleting all partitions on the HDD and then run the windows tool to add a partition. BACKUP DATA FIRST if you need it.

Also it could be your copy of windows that is the problem or the device you are trying to install from ... If you have a disc drive you could try a genuine copy of windows. Or try a different iso of windows etc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users