Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot unless hooked up to external monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JONES113

JONES113

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

My laptop will not boot up correctly. It sounds like it turns on, but the screen remains black. I hooked it up to an external monitor and it came on and finally was able to get it to display on the laptop screen. This has worked twice, but there was another time that I hooked it up externally and it still would not come on. It usually only works with the external monitor if I first turn it off, plug the monitor in and then turn it back on. This problem just started about a week ago and I have no idea what happened. It is a Toshiba satellite laptop and everything seems to be working normally once I finally get it on, but I never know if it will actually come on or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2014 - 08:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

I've seen this with HP laptops where the laptop believes its screen is a secondary monitor, even when disconnected from all other monitors.  I've updated the Video drivers and BIOS, removed the monitors and display adapters from Device Manager, rebooted and reinstalled the display adapter, if necessary.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

Go into the video area (usually a separate program), and check the settings there.  A friend of mine had the same issue, and this software told the PC to always expect a external monitor.  Once the setting were corrected, all worked fine.  It's been awhile, so I can't remember the name of the program.

Best of luck.

#4 JONES113

JONES113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with the monitor settings. The computer just does not boot up every time I turn it on. I have to hold the power button until it shuts down and then turn it back on until it boots up fully. The last time I got it on it took me turning it off and back on several times. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

#5 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have this suggestion! The only time you should shut down your PC with the power button, is when you can't shut it down any other way. Your asking for trouble shutting down that way. If some thing is being written to your hard drive, you could toast it.

Why do you think it has nothing to do with monitor settings??

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2014 - 04:48 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote box - Hamluis.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Go into control panel. Click on display. Click on connect to projector. Tell me what you see!!

I'm assuming your running W7???

PS Here's a short cut. Hold the windows key and tap P

Edited by donetao, 16 May 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#7 JONES113

JONES113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

The screen went blank and then came up with an error saying no projector found. Yes, windows 7. I have to shut it down that way because it doesn't boot up and all I get is a black screen. If I shut it back down that way and power it back on, it will usually boot up all the way after 5 - 10 tries. That's the only way I can get it to come on all the way. If I shut it down normally after it has been on, or if I try to restart it it always comes back to the black screen and won't boot up. I say it isn't the monitor settings because I can eventually get it to start fine, it just takes several tries.

#8 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

If you hold down the windows key and tap p. Your screen goes black????? What happens when you click on display- adjust settings??

I'm thinking you have a bad monitor or maybe it's about to go out?????Maybe a bad connections ???

I'm really out of ideas?

Edited by donetao, 18 May 2014 - 01:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users