Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA being recognized as ATA by computer??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thisismyshine

thisismyshine

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Computer Specs:

• Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Antivirus Software
    AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014
  • Firewall
    Windows Firewall
  • Computer
    Custom
  • CPU
    AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processor, 3.30 GHz, 3 Cores
  • Motherboard
    ASUSTek Computer INC. M4A87TD EVO
  • Ram
    DDR3, 4 GBytes
  • Storage
    Western Digital Blue (WD3200AAKX) 298 GBytes 7,200 RPM SATA
  • Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 2048 MBytes
  • Soundcard
    VIA High Definition Audio (and AMD High Definition Audio Device when using HDMI)

Hello!

I am not really sure how to define this issue.  It's not exactly an issue?  It doesn't really cause issues.  But it certainly isn't right.

A few months back I put together the computer I am currently using (specs listed above).  I didn't really realize at first that these small issues were here until about two weeks ago because, like I said, they don't really cause issues.  But so far as I can tell, basically somewhere along the way one part of my computer is not reading the other accurately and I can't figure out where that is occurring, much less if it is something I can fix (or should/need to?).

So far (and I hope this is all there is, not more) I have found two issues and I will put them both in this post because I am not sure if they are related but I figure they might be since they are rather similar.

The first one is in regards to my Hard Drive:

It's really pretty simple.  The specs you see above, which end with "SATA", are the correct specs for the Hard Drive I am using.  However, if you were to look through my System Information and go into Device Manager and look at the properties of the driver etc., my computer states my Hard Drive specs are "ATA".  All the other information is the same, correct, but it is registering my Hard Drive as an ATA device and not an SATA.  

Interestingly, I haven't had any problems in performance or otherwise in the use of my computer.  But I'm not sure why it is reading this way?  Because there have been no issues and I am not certain if I should or need to do anything to fix this discrepency, I haven't tried any fixes in regards to this on my own yet.

The second on is in regards to my Disc Drive:

This one is a little more complicated.  My Disc Drive specs weren't asked for when I filled out my Profile for the forums, so I will put the information here -  

ASUS DRW-24B1ST  i SATA

The problem here, at the baseline, is really very much the same.  The correct specs for my Disc Drive end with "SATA".  However, if you look through the information you can glean from my computer, it states my Disc Drive specs are "ATA".  

Unfortunately, with this I have had some issues.  If you look at my Computer via Windows Explorer, it shows the Disc Drive as being only a CD-Rom: http://gyazo.com/e5d91b411d75c2eb9f4bfa0deaa9fd26  It's an odd quirk, but, well, alright.  I can deal with that since, if I put a DVD into the drive it will still play the DVD just fine.  So no harm no foul, right?  But then, when I try to burn a DVD, I cannot do so.  At least, not through conventional means.  

I couldn't get the drive to burn a DVD with any of the programs that should have worked like Windows DVD Maker, or some others I have used that are non-Microsoft sources.  In my forrays of troubleshooting and trying to see if anyone else had this issue, it was suggested by someone that using a more powerful program would solve the problem - so I tried Nero and lo and behold, that program was able to burn DVDs for me with no issue - data or movie.  

It's not simply the burn process though.  It is not registering the formatting (or lack thereof) of the disk either, when I look in the properties of the blank disk once inserted in the drive: http://gyazo.com/595f4b9e656308125dc553944bc93f18 which means it shows neither used or free space on the disk ... so there is no space ... no disk?  

And it also will not allow me to "explore" the blank disk (open the folder) so that I can put files into there to queue for burning.  Instead I get an error: http://gyazo.com/f853cf00c0952f505dceb1d23e432d6e which, in case you can't read it in the image, says "Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes.  If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it."

I have tried updating the driver, but Windows tells me the driver I have is the most up to date.  

I have tried uninstalling the driver then rebooting so it would reset and automatically install a new driver for it.  

I have gone to the Manufacturer website to find their most recent driver they have listed and it seems I am up to date by their standards as well.

I have tried Microsoft's troubleshooting run program for the CD/DVD drives, which amusingly turned up no issues to resolve.  

I looked through the Registry but couldn't see anything that stuck out (though I'm not the most experienced with Registrys, I'll admit).  

I went through the BIOS because I wondered if there was a BIOS issue going on and switched the Drive from IDE to AHCI, the drive worked both ways but with the same issues and limitations - nothing resolved.  (The reason I tried that with the BIOS was that my boyfriend has the same drive, which works as it should and with no issues, and in his BIOS it was set to AHCI so I wondered if that might have been the issue, which clearly it wasn't.)

At this point, I am out of ideas!  Some help or brainstorming, please?  :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

The first problem...  Windows 7 recognizes the hdd as a Serial ATA.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thisismyshine

thisismyshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hello hello and thanks for responding to swiftly.  :)

Here is the url as requested!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/e4YVm3NGk5xSHdy8tmFq2FY

o7

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

That Asus is a CD and DVD burner.

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

That Western Digital hdd is a SATA drive, don't be confused by Microsoft's nomenclature doesn't list it as you would expect.  By listing it as a Serial ATA you can read it wrong if you don't recognize the difference.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

Just so you are  aware, the Speccy shows the hdd S.M.A.R.T. status is showing a warning.

You should keep an eye on it in the future.  This doesn't mean it is facing an eminent failure, but it could get worse.  If this is a new hdd you may want to call the place where you purchased it and ask them what their rma practices are.

#6 thisismyshine

thisismyshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Ah ok I see. 

Well then why the issue with writing the discs?  Any ideas in regards to that?  Or how it won't show anything for the Properties nor allow me to open the folder to put files in there for burning, etc, as it should do.  

Currently the only way I can burn anything to disc with the drive is by using the Nero program.  No other programs I have tried have worked.  They have all given errors, including Microsoft's.

Thanks again!

#7 thisismyshine

thisismyshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

Alright thank you for the heads up about the hard drive.  It's rather old (the like one old piece I kept when I put this new build together a few months back actually) and was planning to update it soon anyways.  Might just hop on that then.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for the optical drive in the Device Manager?

If you uninstall the drivers and restart the computer the Installation Wizard will recognize it as new hardware and assign a driver for it.  If this is a bad driver causing this it should fix it.

#9 thisismyshine

thisismyshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Yes, I did and it made no difference unfortunately.

Without Nero, the drive will play CDs and DVDs but it won't burn them.  With Nero I can burn them as data discs or movie without any issues as well.  I haven't been able to do so though with any other programs.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Have you tried using Windows Burn Disk Image?

Another program to try is ImgBurn.

#11 thisismyshine

thisismyshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

I ... wasn't aware Windows had an ISO burner.  :)

So I gave that a try.  It worked beautifully.  No issues - fantastic.

Thanks!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users