Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware infections tripled in late 2013, Microsoft finds

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

Malware infections tripled in late 2013, Microsoft finds

A three-fold increase in Microsoft Windows computers infected with malicious software in late 2013 came from an application that was for some time classified as harmless by security companies.

In the third quarter of 2013, an average of 5.8 Windows computers out of every 1,000 were infected with malware, said Tim Rains, director of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing division, which tracks security trends targeting the company's widely used products. That jumped to about 17 computers per 1,000 for the last quarter of the year.

Rains attributed the rise to malware called "Rotbrow." The program masquerades as a browser add-on called "Browser Protector" and is supposedly a security product...Rotbrow was found on about 59 of every 1,000 computers using its security products...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

Sounds about right. I found an article that I thought was interesting a while about the exponential growth of computer infections since 1980, I couldn't find the exact article again but found this chart: http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/01/27/av-test-year-end-report-shows-exponential-growth-of-malware/

I have a feeling with these new ransomware virus's paying off for the creators we may see a significant jump this year through next. It is unfortunate that so far these people are getting away with it...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

I can say when I worked in a retail environment the computer repair went from mostly hardware related issues to ~ 90% virus related issues over the last 4-5 years. There are still a fair amount of hard drive and power supply failures but virus's are found on nearly all of the machines that come in.

Long ago it used to be "I can't connect to the internet", ok lets check the modem, yup failed modem, replace and fixed...

Edited by zingo156, 08 May 2014 - 02:43 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

I can say when I worked in a retail environment the computer repair went from mostly hardware related issues to ~ 90% virus related issues over the last 4-5 years. There are still a fair amount of hard drive and power supply failures but virus's are found on nearly all of the machines that come in.

Same here.

What jibs me is how some people can/will continue to click on popups that appear on their desktop, or automatically believe it when someone calls them and tells them their computer is infected...

I have repeat customers that do just that- as if giving out your credit card number to a strange caller isn't a big enough red flag? SMH

Edited by Netghost56, 12 May 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, retail can be frustrating... I have had many people that get infected, bring in their computer, then I wiped and reloaded the machine, they get their machine back and go out to their email and click on the same infected email and get the same infection the day they brought it home from the shop. Of course they come back and blame the tech who repaired the machine. We always tell people to be careful with email but I am still shocked by the number of people that are re-infected within a week.

I imagine the new ransomeware virus's are going to be a nightmare in the retail world as in my experience less than 15% of the users had any sort of backup in place and that is being generous, it is probably closer to less than 10%. What is worse, even after telling people to implement a backup plan when they first came in and when they picked up their machine, nearly none of them did so.

#6 selftaught101

selftaught101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

This is exactly why i use Avast , it shows good or bad site ratings plus i always stick to the basics and stay away from 3rd party applications such as these !

People really need to start "Safe Browsing Practice" and NOT Allow themselves to be fooled and even get infected in the first place ! 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

QM7's MODUS OPERANDI:
"Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. An uninformed user can be their own worst enemy when acting in ignorance."

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

I agree, knowledge and the use of this knowledge is the best prevention method.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

Windows XP has lower infection rate than Vista and 7

#10 selftaught101

selftaught101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

In my Opinion , Windows XP was the best Microsoft OS ! 

#11 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

I agree. XP was a true king!

Not sure why that post came so small!   Yes I agree, XP was a true king!  Vista was 100% rubbish and 7 is somewhere in between!

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

I agree. XP was a true king!

Not sure why that post came so small!

Because for some reason it appears the Superscript button was toggled on. That's the 6th button on the lower left row of icons in the reply window. Looks like an X with a small 2 above and to the right of it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

I See!  The world is full of surprises!

#14 selftaught101

selftaught101

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

Yeah it truly was the best , but *Takes hat off*  Its time to move on now and learn this new Windows 8.1 ... Im so glad they at least allowed us to bring the start button back and load Desktop on start up with out all that touch screen trash appearing causing it to load way slower !

#15 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

I am yet to get used to 8.  I agree that touch screen crap is so over rated and slows everything down!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users