Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Dual Boot advise for upgraded Samsung 840 EVO

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

This week, Newegg ran a really great deal on several quality SSD's & I wanted to increase capacity to my current 120GB Samsung 840 EVO, so I grabbed a 240GB one for just $10 more than the one I now have.

Now, as to what I want to do with that extra space. I didn't need it for Windows 7 Pro, but want to dual boot the Dell OEM Windows 8 Pro that's installed on a 500GB WD RE4 on this new SSD. As to cloning the Windows 7 install, that's no issue, I know how to do that.

It's the Windows 8 install on the RE4 that I need assistance with. Ideally, a clean install would be best & if there were problems with the OS, I'd do so. However it's running good & I'd like to clone that over beside of Windows 7 (with Windows 7 being the default OS). I know how to do that, once successfully installed, through the msconfig panel.

I need to know how to clone Windows 8 over, without deleting my Windows 7 install, the easiest way possible. If needed, I have the Dell OEM Reinstall DVD for any issues that may arise.

As to the 120GB SSD installed now, I'll be using that for Linux Mint 17 LTS, once released. What I want to do is eliminate all HDD's from my PC & have the RE4 for data in an enclosure that I already have. This will not only reduce power consumption, but also heat within the case.

If needed, my specs as stands are in my Speccy specs below in my sig.

Thanks in advance for any & all advice.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

I don't think you're going to be able to do this.  When you clone you over write.  What you would need to do is install Win8 after you have installed Win7 and you're going to need an actual Windows 8 install disk to accomplish this.

You may be able to partition the drive and do it that way, but easy wouldn't be a word that I would use for this task.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

No way be able to copy the Windows 8 partition over to the free space on the SSD at the end of the Windows 7 install with a partitioning tool, or with Macrium Reflect's WinPE CD? One can drag-n-drop partitions with that software in the empty space. But I've never, except for cloning a OS (Windows 8 w/all of the GPT partitions) to a smaller SSD, attempted this as a dual boot.

The PC is no longer in GPT & Secure Boot has been removed, as it didn't play well with Windows 7. The Windows 8 install is also on MBR partitioning. I would upload a screenshot of the partitions, but cannot find the option above to do so.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

Man, this was easy peasy, just one minor hurdle had to be cleared. The repair to boot Windows 8.

First, I cloned the 120GB Samsung 840 EVO with Windows 7 using EaseUS Todo Workstation to the 240GB one. After disconnecting the cable to the original, it fired right up, a reboot was required.

Then, using Macrium Reflect from within Windows 7 (the WinPE CD wouldn't clone), I then cloned Windows 8 to the 840 EVO beside of Windows 7 & removed the WD RE4. That took 5-6 minutes. Now here's where the fun began. It wouldn't  boot afterwards like with EaseUS Todo was able to do with Windows 7 (I would have cloned with that, but it would have deleted Windows 7). The Dell OEM Windows 8 DVD (not to be confused with the 3 DVD recovery disk set) failed to repair Windows 8, then gave me the chice to exit & continue to Windows 7.

I was stumped. In the meantime, I checked partition alignment, all was fine.

Then an idea came to mind. I had already had EasyBCD 2.2 installed because I had renamed the OS to simply "Windows 8" before. So I opened that, deleted the previous Windows 8 option, then re-added it through the Add Boot Option.

Windows 8 fired right up. Look at this Speccy shot & notice just how much time the SSD has been used. Will update this in my sig later.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/maaYH5axk12u8Dz52NBGXs6

This is simple crap, hopefully this will assist someone whom is setting up a dual boot from different drives.

I vote it up to be a tutorial!

Cat

#5 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Would it be better to use VMWare?

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:41 PM

Would it be better to use VMWare?

For what? I want Windows 7 & 8 totally independent of one another.

As to the smaller drive that I just removed (the 120GB one that had Windows 7), it's going to be used for Linux MInt 17 when released. I have ran VM's to test OS's out, but not as a substitute for a full install. Currently, Windows 7 Pro SP1 is my main Windows OS, but do use Windows 8 some. I may want to use it as my primary OS one day.

Plus, I can't take a Dell OEM Reinstall DVD to create a VM, even on the computer it's for. This isn't a OEM or Upgrade license.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users