Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports stop working at Windows 7 login screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy2kk

Andy2kk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hi I'd really appreaciate any help given. I have a computer it's an all in one dell optiplex, running Windows 7 Home Premium updated as of 26th April.

The keyboard and mouse are wireless and the USB connector for them hasn't been removed in a while. I had just gotten a new mouse and keyboard, both wireless and put them in.
Started up the computer, but no response from either the mouse or keyboard when I try to login. After a few restarts I still get nothing.

I have checked if they work in the BIOS settings menu and the keyboard works so I assume the mouse does as well. But still nothing when it gets to the login screen. There are only
USB ports on the computer so the PS/2 fix wont work. There is also no USB Legacy setting in the BIOS menu.

I have also waited 20 - 30 minutes a couple of times at the login screen to let Windows to search for hardware and install default drivers.

Just to clarify I can't login into Windows so I can't fix or update any drivers.

Edited by Andy2kk, 08 May 2014 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hello, and Welcome

The first thing I would look at is if the batteries are okay. But I doubt it is that because both are not working ( and it works in BIOS). Can you revert back to the previous keyboard and mouse that did work. Did they fail? What is the make and model of the keyboard and mouse?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 May 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#3 Andy2kk

Andy2kk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the response.

I have tried 4 different sets of keyboards and mouse, changed the batteries. They're all plug and play, one is a Logitech m325, other is cyborg 170020. Keyboards, Logitech G15, and a standard logitech one.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

I would say something is corrupted in Windows, unfortunately, I have no idea how to resolve it because you cannot access Windows. What is the OS? (Yes, Windows 7) Have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults? It may be possible to use a bootable linux distro but I will have to look further into this. Hopefully somebody else on the forum can add their thoughts.

Edit: Is this the Dell 9010 all in one?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 May 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#5 Andy2kk

Andy2kk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'll try resetting the BIOS and let you know.

EDIT: No luck on the reset.

Edited by Andy2kk, 08 May 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Okay, sorry it did not work.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

You could verify if it is a Windows problem by downloading a small linux distro like Puppy. Burn the iso to a CD and boot it. You should be able to at least access your hard drive and copy over any important files you may need to a USB flash or external drive. This would let you do it without having to remove the hard drive. I do not know how difficult this would be on the all-in-one.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 May 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#8 Andy2kk

Andy2kk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

okay I'll give that a try, thanks. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

Did the computer originally have Windows 8. Just mentioning it because if the BIOS is EFI, Fastboot and Secureboot will have to be disabled first.

#10 Andy2kk

Andy2kk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

No it had Windows 7 Home premium installed. But just in case how do I disable those features? 

Has Microsoft really not come up with a solution to this? It seems to be a problem quite a few people have? If you don't have a ps/2 slot then nothing can be done to get back into that version of windows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users