Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File converter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frenchman96

frenchman96

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

Hi Guys

First visit, so hello.

I have just got new laptop with w8 on board, and previous o/s was xp, so have spent some time configuring to my liking.

Happy with progress, but still a few niggles, not sure on your protocol if its ok to list a few items or if they should be separate posts, sure you will tell me.

1-i had all my telephone numbers in an Excel spreadsheet, but when I scanned them, to copy paste to my w8, they have saved as pdf files, so how can I copy/paste them to my new installed Open Office, I think in the past, I have either used OPEN FILE VIEWER, OR A PROG THAT CONVERTED??

2- Can I disable the welcome screen appearing with the turning wheel and profile image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Something I found (have not used it), PDF import for Open Office.

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdf-import-apache-openoffice

Good luck.

#3 frenchman96

frenchman96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Will, but could not do much with that link, life seems a bit difficult with this w8

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

1-i had all my telephone numbers in an Excel spreadsheet, but when I scanned them...

2- Can I disable the welcome screen appearing with the turning wheel and profile image.

1.  What are you scanning the file with?

2.  Yes you can.  Which version of Windows 8 do you have?  Is it the basic or Pro version?  The procedure is different depending on the version.

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hi Guys

First visit, so hello.

I have just got new laptop with w8 on board, and previous o/s was xp, so have spent some time configuring to my liking.

Happy with progress, but still a few niggles, not sure on your protocol if its ok to list a few items or if they should be separate posts, sure you will tell me.

1-i had all my telephone numbers in an Excel spreadsheet, but when I scanned them, to copy paste to my w8, they have saved as pdf files, so how can I copy/paste them to my new installed Open Office, I think in the past, I have either used OPEN FILE VIEWER, OR A PROG THAT CONVERTED??

I recently downloaded OpenOffice, and it was only compatible with Office 2003.  Office 2007 file format is different.  Download and use LIBREOFFICE, it's much better than OpenOffice, and is compatible with Office 2007+.  If you were using Office 2007+, then all you need to do, with LibreOffice, is copy the files over, and open them in LO.  The only thing you'll need to do, is to configure LO to save in Office 2007+ format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users