Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD hard wont work with Linux

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:38 AM

Yes....the title should read : WD Hard Drive wont work with Linux  :bubbles:

My son has a brand new WD hard drive...3 TB

he has reformatted the partition table

It works.

If it is then unplugged and plugged back in....it doesnt work...not recognised

Is this some kind of proprietary thing he is up against ??

??

yet it is recognised on a Windows pc

Edited by Condobloke, 08 May 2014 - 01:41 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

Google

"mount usb NTFS drive Linux" with any other key words that suit your situation.

The answer will come to the top of the pile quickly. It's a very common question.

#3 MysteryMac

MysteryMac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Also, are you sure the drive is not recognized instead of not mounted? When the drive is plugged in type this is a terminal to see if the drive is recognized 'fdisk -l'. This will give you a list of all your recognized hard drives.

Edited by MysteryMac, 14 May 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Isn't GPT partitioning, rather than MBR, needed for HDD's over 2TB to "see" the entire drive?

Or does that apply to Windows only?

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Isn't GPT partitioning, rather than MBR, needed for HDD's over 2TB to "see" the entire drive?

Or does that apply to Windows only?

Cat

Well picked Cat...  :thumbup2:  I didn't even notice the 3TB drive size.

Here's a great article on it that answers most questions.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Had to think over a minute on it myself. Seems that I've read about drives over 2TB needing the GPT partitioning scheme in a couple of other places.

The Dell that I have (specs below) shipped with a 1TB HDD partitioned in GPT, though it was due to the way Windows 8 was setup, the Secure Boot & the extra partitions. Not that I kept it long, would have kept GPT & possibly should have for all of the partitioning, but my thoughts at the time were just to get Windows 8 & Secure Boot off of here. Well, GPT went with it, since I removed the HDD & set it aside just in case warranty service is needed.

The 250GB Samsung 840 EVO that I recently installed now dual boots both Windows 7 Pro & Dell OEM Windows 8, they provided me at no cost (overnight service, too) a Dell Windows 8 reinstall DVD w/out the junk software. That's how Dell solves the question of clean install on SSD's. But one has to request while in factory warranty (normally one year). Because who knows, I may want Windows 8 one day, or the OS that supersedes it. In that case, 8 is installed & ready for an upgrade.

Had I thought it out a little more, I'd have left GPT alone, just disabled Secure Boot & installed Windows 7 to the first SSD that I bought for it, the 120GB model. MBR does has it's quirks, though it's still popular to many.

Am going to soon install Linux Mint 17 x64 LTS to that 120GB Samsung 840 EVO.

Hopefully this solves the OP's question, the GPT matter. I just can't think of any other possible reason why Linux won't recognize it at the moment, except one other thing that also just came to mind. If the computer shipped with Windows 8, Secure Boot will also need to be disabled in the UEFI BIOS, there's a couple more settings, to ACHI & possibly Legacy depending on the computer. If this is such a computer, it may be best to check with the OEM site as to precise instructions for the model in question.

Or Google it. It's likely that someone else has posted instructions, somewhere, possibly via a YouTube video.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

All the answers are right there in the link I posted Cat...

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

All the answers are right there in the link I posted Cat...

Yes & thanks for providing it, I have bookmarked the page for future reference. Lots of things there in easy to understand terms.

Cat

#9 globalinternethostin

globalinternethostin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Needs to be given a filesystem type (linux has a range of choices, the other guy doesnt) and mounted onto the directory tree - which makes LINUX UNLIMITLESSLY FLEXIBLE while the other guy is stuck in the muck.
just google "install and mount linux partition"
- also i dont know what your raid considerations are but there are other things to take into account as to your application of the partition.

DISCLAIMER:
there are a lot of front running softy damage control public relations stunters looking to smear LINUX because of the volumes and reams of softy insufficiencies and failures. dont be one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users