Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What kind of corrosion is this?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dinoribbs

dinoribbs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

and is there any way to clean it up and get it working properly? Like maybe a Q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol? I believe this is the Video graphics unit that the corrosion is on.  thank you for any responses.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

Hard to say just from an image, but you can certainly try as you suggest with the rubbing alcohol - a reasonable equivalent to the isopropyl I use at work. With corrosion, you only know how successful it will be by trying.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

Is it the photo or do I see corrosion on the two adjacent screw heads.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

It appears to be some sort of liquid corrosion. A few things that can cause this: the obvious liquid spill... or sometimes capacitors can blow and leak on boards. Being that this appears to be a laptop board and most likely a relatively new one, it probably uses solid state capacitors which I have not seen fail with any leak that would cause corrosion. This would lead me to believe it was a liquid spill of some sort.

In some cases after a liquid spill cleaning up with iso alcohols can fix problems. As mentioned above you will have to try it to find out. In some rare cases with sticky soda spills I have had luck by submerging the entire motherboard in iso alcohol for 12 hours and then letting it dry out for a week.

With liquid spills the key to preventing damage is to pull all power sources (battery and power adapters) right away and never try to power the machine on until it has completely dried out.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users