Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What can I do to fix the problem of my C drive that is getting low in space?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lewis56

Lewis56

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

Hello, I am new here. A couple of days ago, my computer had been updated from the Windows XP to the present Windows 7. Everything is going well, except one. The C drive space recently is getting low and the computer also becomes really slow. But, other drives, like E and F, have enough free space. The F drive is even nearly empty. So, I just wonder whether I can add the free space of other drives to my C drive. How can I handle the process? Please, offer me some detailed steps! Thanks!! 

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2014 - 06:31 AM.
Typo - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jc186

jc186

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Lewis56 Hi, I don't know if  it will help or not but I was having the same issue and,yes if you know how to do it you can also go over to Microsoft downloads,  and there support web site and ask them for help on how to do it. Just post  your  question out to there on their community  support line and one of the people from the support line will get back to you with the instructions that you need, That"s unless someone else here can give you  more help.Sorry I could not have been of more help, but just so you know it can be done..Good Luck!

#3 SamX5

SamX5

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hi Lewis56. To merge partitions in Windows 7:

Back up to an external device or to drive E any important data on F and, optionally, move the same important data from C to E.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management,

Right-click the graphic of the F partition and select Delete.  The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition.

Delete the partition if it is an Extended partition.

Now right-click the graphic of the C partition and select Extend.

Source

Hope this helps

Edited by SamX5, 08 May 2014 - 03:00 AM.

AMD FX - 8320 | Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 | Asus R9 290X | 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair rm850 | Samsung 256gb 840 | Corsair H80I | CM Storm Trooper

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

You can simply install any decent partition management tool...follow their instructions for merging partitions...and be done.  I've never used the Win 7 tool so I cannot comment on how useful it might be.  In any case...it pays to read the documentation on the tool...before attempting to use it.  Stated limitations and proper procedures are often overlooked by users wanting simple solutions without reading documentation.

Note:  Any time that a user is doing anything with partition management, it's always advised and wise to backup before doing so.

Louis

If either of the partitions on your system...contain system tools or are intended to be used for restore-to-factory default situations....I would not necessarily mess with them.

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#5 Hannah45

Hannah45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hello! I know there are common two ways for one to extend his partition space:

1). Back up all important data well, open Disk Management, shrink or delete the partition with free space and right click your C drive to hit “extend”.

2). But, if this doesn’t work for you, you may also try some partition resizing tools online, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and EaseUS Partition Master, etc. They all are designed to help users resize partition space freely.

Always remember to firstly back up all important data in case of data loss.

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:11 AM

Hello! I agree 100% with Louis!! Not that he needs my agreement, but I give it any way. :bounce:

"This is very important If either of the partitions on your system...contain system tools or are intended to be used for restore-to-factory default situations....I would not necessarily mess with them."

The above is taken and quoted by Louis from the post by Louis.

Edited by donetao, 12 May 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#7 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

excellent tutorial  to view ..

If you wish to use windows disk management ok

but i recommend  http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

download the bootable cd version..

#8 Hannah482

Hannah482

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, adding free space to this C drive is a good way to go on.

What have you tried to do that?

Here is a video tutorial that may help you a lot to extend your C drive space with free space:

youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk

Always firstly save all important stuffs well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users