Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Boot-up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jstew_13

jstew_13

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

I recently downloaded a wallpaper for my other computer, now when I boot-up, my computer freezes, displaying only the wallpaper, no icons or anything. I can't access anything on my computer. What should I do to fix this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, jstew_13. :thumbsup:

Have you tried to go into safe mode? If so, and if you can access the start menu, I would change your wallpaper back to what it was before you made this change. What wallpaper was this? Anyways, I copied out some instructions from the sources mentioned at the bottom of this post(modified a bit), that will walk you through going into safe mode and changing your wallpaper.

Hope this helps....

How to start Windows in Safe Mode:

1.) Restart your computer.

2.) When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a menu.

3.) When you have the menu on the screen. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.

4.) Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Changing the Desktop Pattern or Wallpaper:

1.) On the Start menu:
* Point to Settings.
* Click Control Panel.

2.) In Control Panel:
* Double-click the Display icon.
The Display Properties dialog box appears. The Background tab will be showing, and the Wallpaper list will be highlighted.

3.) Select the Wallpaper that best fits your needs.
* If you have wallpaper saved in another file:
* Click Browse.
* Type the file name.
* Click Open.

4.) To select how your wallpaper is displayed on your monitor:
* In the Display box select Center, Tile, or Stretch.

5.) Click OK.

6.) Restart your computer.

Sources -
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Changing the Desktop Pattern or Wallpaper
JC

#3 jstew_13

jstew_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the reply. However, I'm not able to boot-up in safe mode. The computer loads, but f8 won't bring up the menu. Only the wallpaper displays, with no other icons or anything I can click on. Also, nothing happens when I insert a cd. I'm not too sure what's going on. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

Do you know the name of the wallpaper or what folder it's in? You could go in with a Win 98 boot disk and delete the file, or rename it to something else. It may be that the wallpaper is using more shared video memory than you have. (Wacky idea, but I suppose it's possible . . .)

If it turns out to be something other than the wallpaper actually causing it, you can use the boot disk to go back to an earlier version of the registry. Change to the C: drive by typing

C:

. . . and hit enter. Then type

scanreg /restore

. . . and hit enter. There's a space between the g and the /. Choose a registry entry that started and let it replace the registry.

This assumes you're using Windows 98. If you're using Windows ME, use an Me boot disk instead, though either will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users