Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big problem with Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 purat111

purat111

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hello,

This is my third time here, but this tie it's a big problem with Windows Update. Everything was working normally until April 8th, the 'Patch Tuesday' when Microsoft released Windows 8.1 Update 1. The usual installation went normally, however my computer was still on Windows 8. So, a couple of weeks later I decided to download the updates manually. However, when I ran the updater, I got a 'This update is not applicable for your computer' error. I then ran the Windows Update troubleshooter, which fixed some stuff.

But when the critical Internet Explorer patch was released, I did not get that, even though my Windows 7 laptop did. I began to explore a little further, and tried these two solutions I found on the Microsoft website:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-update-error-code-8024a000/562845f3-78d5-42a0-bed5-e3fd39f01df7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

and a few others. They did not work. The only noticeable difference is now Windows Update says Checking For Updates for ages, about three hours, and does nothing. sfc /scannow does not work either 'Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service'.

As Microsoft will no longer support Windows 8.1 after the next round of updates, I am quite worried about this.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

...however my computer was still on Windows 8...

If your computer is still on Windows 8 you cannot apply Windows 8.1 Update.  You have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first.

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

If your computer is still on Windows 8 you cannot apply Windows 8.1 Update.  You have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 first.

I was thinking the same thing.

OP, have you tried going into the Store and finding the first 8.1 update?  That's how the first one was released.  After you've installed that you can move forward with the most current update.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Sorry, I meant Windows 8.1

#5 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

Anyone??? I'm really stuck on this. :(

#6 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Sorry for the mistake. I'm on Windows 8.1 and as far as I know, have all the latest updates that I am able to download.

Edited by purat111, 10 May 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#7 purat111

purat111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:02 AM

OK, the computer now successfully checked for updates and installed a device driver...guess it's time to wait for Patch Tuesday. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users