Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD issues in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I recently acquired a new computer (dumpster diving treasure) and am experiencing some issues. I installed a new Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB MZ-7TE120BW and installed Windows 7 64 to the SSD. The install went fine, but when I go into BIOS the drive does not show as 'bootable' drive. (It does show in BIOS, but just not as bootable.) When I force BIOS to manually boot from the drive I get an error message along the lines that it's not 'bootable media'. I can force BIOS to boot from something called "Windows Boot Manager" and when I select Windows 7, it boots just find from the SSD and I experience no problems.

I would like to have BIOS recognize the SSD as a properly bootable device.

The computer is a pretty basic Asus CM6730:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=CM6730&os=

Intel i5-3350P 3.1GHz

Asus BIOS v. 0404 (not sure if this means ANYTHING to anyone)

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB MZ-7TE120BW

As I said, I find it odd that it is capable of booting Windows from the drive, but won't let me set it as a default bootable device. I can provide additional details as requested.  SATA is set to AHCI.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Worth reading, http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=11531.0 .

Louis

#3 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for the link, but the guy seems to have the exact same questions and issues that I do and I don't see any answers.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

I can force BIOS to boot from something called "Windows Boot Manager" and when I select Windows 7, it boots just find from the SSD and I experience no problems.

It means you installed Windows in UEFI mode. In that case,'Windows Boot Manager" should be the first boot device. The boot manager will load Windows boot loader by directly accessing "EFI System Partition".

When I force BIOS to manually boot from the drive I get an error message along the lines that it's not 'bootable media'

When you force a device, BIOS will try to boot from it in "Legacy" mode. As there is no MBR in a GPT disk, you will naturally get a "Boot failure" message.

Try setting "Windows Boot Manager" as the first boot item and check whether the system boots fine.

#5 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Anshad Edavana, yes it boots just fine via Windows Boot Manager, but I would prefer to boot directly from my SSD instead, that being my preferred method.

How would I install in "non-UEFI mode"?

Edited by CaptainMicrochip, 07 May 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Have you set up ACHI?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

How would I install in "non-UEFI mode"?

To do that, you should install Windows in "Legacy" mode. In BIOS setup, there will be an option to control the "Boot Mode". Usually it will be set to "UEFI and Legacy". Change it to "Legacy Only" ( also change the "Boot option Control" to "Legacy" ). I read the manual of your model but it doesn't seems to list BIOS configuration options. So i can't say where the setting is exactly located - it will be probably under "Boot" menu heading.

Before you can install Windows, you need to clean the GPT partitioning using "DISKPART" and "CLEAN" command.  You can open a "Command Prompt" from the installation CD by pressing "Shift + F10".

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2755-command-prompt-boot-startup-windows-8-a.html

Then follow instructions from the below tutorial to wipe the current partition table ( Step 3 and onward ).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

Once the partition table is clean, you are good to install Windows 8.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Did you setup ACHI in the bios prior to loading the OS?  If not check this link it may get you fixed up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

#9 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Ended up that the BIOS would only show one HDD as available to prioritize in the boot order. I went under the cryptic option of "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" and changed the option to my SSD drive. When I returned to the screen to select my "Boot Option Priorities" the SSD was now showing. Once I made it #1, I could pretty much change everything else in BIOS to anything I wanted and it still booted properly, regardless of Legacy, UEFI, ACHI or IDE settings. Made sure to make some screenshots of the settings so I can keep for later in case they get changed.

#10 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

I want to provide a little more background to this issue. I considered this 'closed' back on May 8th when I last responded, but since have had an issue. BIOS seemed to 'reset' itself and I had to go through a reconfigure AGAIN. Not a big deal, but since my wife uses the PC as well, it's not so great for her. I have no idea why all the BIOS settings got erased and I cannot seem to duplicate this issue.

First, my SSD was formatted as a MBR, not GPT. I am installing/running Win 7 64. I think OldPhil may have the solution. I have one device in my device manager showing as "SM Controller" with an error. I cannot seem to figure out what it triggering it. I think I will try OldPhil's link to enable AHCI and see if that resolves my issues. It seems odd that this problem would have reared its head again with no discernable changes to trigger it. Now it's become my 'white whale'.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Curb kill may need a $3.00 battery by now that may be messing with your bios!

#12 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

@OldPhil: wouldn't that also reset my internal clock? That seems to be ok on restart.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

@OldPhil: wouldn't that also reset my internal clock? That seems to be ok on restart.

Usually but one never knows, it is all magic in the box!  LOL

#14 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

Made me laugh on that one too, OldPhil! But that is the truth. I will replace the battery shortly. As you stated so eloquently, it's a $3 (possible) fix.

#15 CaptainMicrochip

CaptainMicrochip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

So I did a few things last night. First I replaced the battery (yay for me, I had 4 CR2032 batteries since I buy them in multipacks for my car remote.) I also followed an online guide to make sure Win 7 is using ACHI for my SSD. Additionally I changed my BIOS to only boot in Legacy mode vs. UEFI. I am hoping this resolves my issue of the computer booting into BIOS at random.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users