Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eBook project on N7 - 2nd time...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hello fellow Nexus 7 users,

I have a Nexus 7, unmodified, & still with the factory OS (Android 4.2 "Jelly Bean", I believe)

I want to create an eBook on my PC, then transfer the eBook/file to the N7.

So far, (this has been an on-again & off-again project) I've created my eBook on my PC using MS Word 2010 which allowed me to save the eBook/file as a .PDF file.  This is only as far as I've gotten with this project.  As far as I know, an eBook is just a .PDF file.

What do I need to do next?  (Where on the N7 should the file go so that it's recognized as an eBook? )

Thanks to "animal", I have the file sharing part of this project figured out... BUT:

What would be a good way to getting a PDF file onto the N7?  (Where on the N7 should it go? And  what else needs done for the file to show up as an eBook?) 

[I know my way around a PC. I've been a PC user since the pre-Windows days & when MS-DOS 3.0 was newly introduced. But, I'm fairly new to mobile/portable devices.]

Edited by PieLam, 07 May 2014 - 12:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

What reader are you going to use in Android? I use MoonReader+ Pro. It creates a folder called "Books" on the SD card. I would put your created files there. But if you use a different reader find out where it creates the repository for content. Then add your content to the same folder. I use ES File Explorer to view my Android file system.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

[bold]
Animal, on 07 May 2014 - 1:27 PM, said:[/bold]
What reader are you going to use in Android?

I don't have a reader.  Do I need one?  I thought the built-in Android reader would be sufficient.  Is it not?

I use MoonReader+ Pro. It creates a folder called "Books" on the SD card.

That sounds good.  Is it free?  

I have a few spare SD cards I'm not using.  I'm assuming the N7 has an SD card port?  I only use the N7 once in a while, so I can't remember.  Can MoonReader+ Pro use the internal or storage RAM too?

I would put your created files there.

So, any filename.PDF placed in the Books folder would work?

I use ES File Explorer to view my Android file system.

Can you tell me more about this? (Is it an app?  Is it free?  Where can I find it?  etc...)

As you can tell, my formatting commands ( [...] ) aren't working right.  I think it's because of my use of Google Chrome?  

If you need any clarifications, please let me know.

Edited by PieLam, 08 May 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

The Nexus 7 doesn't use an external SD Card. I forgot about that. It splits the onboard memory into two configurations, half emulating an SD Card. So when you look at it with a File Explorer app it will still show configured as an SD Card. but in reality it is internal memory and not removable.

I have never used the native reader in Android so I wouldn't know what it is. Or for that matter where to find it. There is a free version of Moon Reader. There are other readers available to choose from if you wish. I like the features of Moon Reader personally. But choose what suits your needs.

As long as you put the file where your reader of choice access the content you'll be fine.

You mention both .pdf format and ePub format. You can use an online converter to get the format you need.

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub

MoonReader will read both formats so it's not necessary to convert .pdf just to read it on the Nexus7.

As for ES File Explorer, Take a look here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

Hope I addressed all your concerns. I was interrupted a few times while composing it. If I missed anything please ask again.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

I've looked at both Moon Reader & ES File Explorer.  They both look like excellent apps!  

Thanx for mentioning them as I'd like to have them both.  Right now though, I'm still in the info gathering stage of my project.  Therefore, I'm using my PC & the N7 is still inactive. (really, the N7 belongs to my wife.)

What appeals to me the most about ES File Explorer though is the Wi-Fi file transferring ability betweem 2 android devices.  I would hope that I can also do file transfers from the PC to the N7. (I think I know how to accomplish this.)

Animal, on 08 May 2014 - 1:19 PM, said:
You mention both .pdf format and ePub format.

I only mentioned .pdf format because I learned (forgot where) that the pdf format is the format that eBooks are in.  I'm beginning to discover that may not always be the case.   Especially  since a lot of eReaders support multiple file formats.

Actually, until you mentioned ePub just now, I've never even heard of it.  I assume it's some sort of proprietary format of eBooks?

Hope I addressed all your concerns. I was interrupted a few times while composing it. If I missed anything please ask again.

You did address them all, thanx again!  
(I can well understand about interruptions)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users