Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows activation key query

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

I have bought two same company Win 7 installation DVDs with Product Keys.

After activating one successfully I accidentally used the same disc on another computer. Instead of starting over again by using the second DVD can I just use the 2nd Product key to activate it?

I am thinking that using the same disc is immaterial as long as I have a 2nd Product key - am I right?

I have noticed that the Product IDs are different on the two computers although they start with the same 5 numbers viz.:

00359-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx

Do these numbers relate to the different computers?

Edited by zzzz, 07 May 2014 - 07:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hey ZZZZ,

As long as you have two different product keys then you can still activate Windows. The disks are identical.

I'd wait for another answer involving the Product ID.

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 NextHopRouter

NextHopRouter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Im feeling lazy today, so here goes:

PIDs and Product keys

A PID is created after a product is successfully installed. PIDs are used by Microsoft Customer Service to help identify the product when customers engage Microsoft for support. A Product key is a unique combination of numbers and letters that is used during Microsoft software installation to "unlock" or open the product. If you do not enter the product key when you are prompted during the installation, the product may not open until you enter the product key. 
More information about how to identify, locate, and replace a product key.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/selectpid

Hope this helps!

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

I now understand that the Product ID is generated during the installation so are they in a sense connected  but during validation will the Pr0duct ID be checked to see if there is a 'match'?

Just seen the new posts!

Yes I thought the discs would be the same - thanks for the confirmation and the info on the Product ID.

During both installations I was not asked to enter the Prod. Key and not until later when I went to Computer/Properties I saw how many days were left to do so.

After all the updates I am pleased I don't have to start again from scratch.

Edited by zzzz, 07 May 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#5 NextHopRouter

NextHopRouter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Yes, the product key is used during installation to proceed with said installed. The Product ID is generated uniquely, based on a combination of the product key and the hardware fingerprint of the system. 

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Yes, the product key is used during installation to proceed with said installed. The Product ID is generated uniquely, based on a combination of the product key and the hardware fingerprint of the system. 

As the Product ID is generated before the Key is used, this seems to say I cannot use the Product Key of the 2nd disc  for the 1st  disc which was used.

Is this then saying that the installation disc 'knows' what the Product Key  should be so that each installation disc has a unique Product Key? 

In Post 2 Darktune says the discs are identical. 

Yes I could just enter the key and if wrong it will say 'invalid'.

Edited by zzzz, 07 May 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#7 NextHopRouter

NextHopRouter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

He is 100% correct. The image on the CD's or DVD's is verbatim the same, bit for bit. The exception to that rule would be OEM versions. Regardless, the product ID is generated uniquely based on a combination of the hardware fingerprint, and the product key. 

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for that but I hope it's just my brain being overtired as I'm still confused.

Firstly I did indicate in my first post that my DVDs are OEMs so the exception to the rule makes my DVDs different? Hence I can't use the other  Product Key on the DVD I have already used?

If the product ID is generated uniquely based on a combination of the hardware fingerprint (my computer?), and the product key this would mean that my 2nd installation will be looking for the Product Key I have already used in my 1st computer installation, yes?

OK I'll put in the Production Key in and see what happens - but not till next week as I might wish to use that disc elsewhere. I tend to make errors of action when in a hurry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users