Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost in the Partitions!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NeilCH

NeilCH

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

I'm a reall noob and have been strugglign with my first build for weeks now. it's been having lots of problems so I'm going back to the beginning and doing a clean install. There was problems installing the first time round onto my SSD. Everything was new when i first bought it but now it has had windows installed on it a few times and I want to wipe it and start from scratch. I have other drives for media and such this SSD is just for OS and prigrams and so I want to have a pertiotion for the OS and the rest on the remaining part of the drive but this seemingly simple task is proving more difficult than anything else I've had to do and keeps running into problems. Now when I go to install the SSD has 4 partitions: 1  Recovery 300MB, 2 system 99MB, 3 MSR (reserved) 128MB, 4 Primary 223.1GB.

Should I just format Partition 4 and install, is there meant to be all these partitions?

I want to wipe everything off and do a totally clean install, do I need to first install windows on a different drive open it up then format the SSD? this seems like such a terrible waste of time, shorlly the bootable Windows USB can erase format and partition it's own disk? I cant seem to find any advise on how, all the options seem to only apply to one or other of the partitions?

All the tutorial start with a disk with one no partitions and so I'm a little lost?

In the "where do you want to install" window of the setup if I highlight any of the 4 partitions it says Windows cant be installed on this partition. I can format a partition but I can not see an option just to erase all the partitions and do a clean install?! fsfbadfh.

I know this is probably very simple but I'm stumped and just sat here staring at the screen with no idea.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

I have tried deleting a partition but it just wipes that patition clean and I have tried hunting around in Repair options but there seems to be very little I can do from the instalation USB.

If I can not move forward then I will have to wipe my media drive and install windows there (if it will let me) and then try and open windows to format and get rid of all the patitions on the SSD but I'm sure I tried this last week and that's how more Partitions turned up there. I'm also unclear on what to format the drive for Windows OS and wether to partition there or in instalation? sbgSRB

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Now when I go to install the SSD has 4 partitions: 1  Recovery 300MB, 2 system 99MB, 3 MSR (reserved) 128MB, 4 Primary 223.1GB.

Should I just format Partition 4 and install, is there meant to be all these partitions?

Yes, they are normal. Although you only see your "C" partition from within Windows, there are several hidden partition created by Windows and they all are part of UEFI specification. If you wonder what they are :

Recovery : This is the partition in which "WinRE.wim" and other files to run "Automatic Repair/Starup repair" operation stored.

System   : Partition in which OS boot loader is stored.

MSR       : "Microsoft System Reserved" - Currently not used by Windows. Reserved for future purpose.

Primary   : This is your first data partition - normally "C" drive.

To do a clean install, simply delete all the partitions from the installation screen. Then create a new partition and Windows installer will inform you that it is going to create additional partitions required. Then MSR , System and Recovery partitions will be created again. Now select the primary ( 200 + ) partition and install Windows to it.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 07 May 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#4 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

I tried removing the SSD and plugging back in a HDD and it went to Overclocking failed screen (there is not one apart from XMP profile)

rebooted and it went to blue system recovery screen,

reboot and got into installation but cant see HDD,

reboot and blue recover screen, cant see USB,

reboot and into Windows installation and can see the drive but same problem when i try to install on HDD:

windows cant be installed here the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

windows cant be installed here the selected disk is of the EFI  partition style. (ESP)

Tried formatting the drive but no change still the same message.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Are you trying to install 32 bit Windows ?. GPT partition scheme is only supported by 64 bit Windows 7 and 8.

#6 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

I cant delet patitions they dont go, they just get renamed and grey out the other options. I tried calling Micrsoft as I can find nothing anywhere on line like this and they said the installer is behaving wrong, I thought it was insane it could not erase a partition or format it's own drive but I am a new to windows and just thought it was the way it was ment to be. I have a acronis trueimage recovery USB stick somewhere as a last chance after that it's a £2000 door jam.

It says 64bit on the disk, Yes sorry it's a new build and it's windows 8.1 64bit OEM instaltion disk ISO made on a mac and then the bootable USB made in "windows7 USB download tool"

Edited by NeilCH, 07 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#7 NeilCH

NeilCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

I may try a nip out and buy a DVD drive as I think, I hope, it's a problem the USB has thrown up.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

It says 64bit on the disk, Yes sorry it's a new build and it's windows 8.1 64bit OEM instaltion disk ISO made on a mac and then the bootable USB made in "windows7 USB download tool"

"Windows 7 USB Download Tool" have an issue - it will only format the target USB drive in NTFS. With an NTFS formatted drive, you can only boot in "Legacy" mode. To install Windows to a GPT drive, you need to boot in UEFI mode and it requires the USB to be formatted in FAT32.

Please read the below guide and prepare your USB drive in UEFI compatible mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

When you try to boot with this USB, you will be presented with two options in the boot menu - Regular and UEFI.

12795d1355352700t-uefi-bootable-usb-flas

You should select the UEFI mode and then you will be able to delete or format the partitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users