Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System will not boot past "Gateway" logo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hath_m74

hath_m74

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

I have a Gateway P-7805U, it is running Vista. I have tried hitting the F8, F2, F10 and nothing happens.  I hit the ESC button and it will take you to another screen. If I press F2, it says "entering setup...." but it will stay that way for a LONG time.  The light that tells you the computer is thinking, only blinks for a quick second and never comes back on. 

I have a copy of the restore disc and actually tried them just to see if it would do something different.  It would not.   

I am like other people, I have important stuff I cannot afford to loose.  Does it sound like a OS problem or does it go further?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

nvm.. i wish this forum wouldn't lose everything i type after a URL...   and I wish i could delete posts.

Edited by bludshot, 16 June 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

It is a BIOS issue, not a os issue. Try flashing the BIOS.

Also, the menu you get when you press ESC, is a device boot menu, you should be able to select the hard drive and boot from it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

F8 will take you to the Advanced Boot Options.  One of the options there is Safe Mode.

I don't know how you went about trying to access the Advanced Boot Options, so I will provide you with instructions.

With the computer off press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key.

Do you have the installation disc for the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hath_m74

hath_m74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

I have the restore, apps and drivers discs, that Best Buy did when I bought the computer.  When I put one in earlier, the system would not even try to read the disc.

When I press the power button I start pushing the F8 and nothing happens.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

You may have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device.

When the computer gets through the POST you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to boot from disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hath_m74

hath_m74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

I cannot it to go into the BIOS. My computer has the capability of having two hard driver. Is it possible to buy another hard drive add the os and use the original hard drive as a secondary and try and access the files that way?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

As for a second hdd, you will have to install the operating system which means you will be back to square one.  You will have to change the BIOS boot order to be able to boot from the installation disc.

With the computer off press the power button and immediately start tapping the F2 key to access the BIOS.

I was a little surprised at the number of posts addressing flashing the BIOS to upgrade it from the version this computer came with.  Once you get this computer back up and running you might want to consider upgrading to a newer version.

#9 hath_m74

hath_m74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Well I have been trying over and over to start and hit F2 and it just beeps and does nothing. I have tried the F10 also, nothing. Still tried the ESC F2 and F10. Nothing.

I appreciate the help and I think it is time to take it in or just buy a new hdd and os.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Gateway Support states that the F2 key is to pressed during the startup to access the BIOS.  Since you can't access the BIOS there is a chance that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.  If that isn't the case the EEPROM which the BIOS is installed on may need to be replaced, this probably would involve replacing the motherboard as I doubt you will be able to get a replacement.

#11 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

...or just buy a new hdd and os.

Like I said before, that would be worthless because the hdd is ok, but the BIOS is at fault. Is there any emergency flash key/jumper/switch in the computer?

#12 hath_m74

hath_m74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

"Is there any emergency flash key/jumper/switch in the computer?"
I honestly have know idea. I went ahead and ordered a motherboard. When it gets here next week I will give an update. Thanks again.

#13 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

That should work.

Another problem may be your keyboard, most BIOSes won't boot when the keyboard is not detected, your bios may not be showing a no keyboard detected message.

#14 hath_m74

hath_m74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Ok, so I purchased a new motherboard and installed it. Turned the computer on and nothing happened, still the same way.

Here comes the wish you would have told us sooner. I have a couple other laptops. My brother told me to swap out hdd and see what happens. I only thought of the old laptop that stopped working when we purchased the Gateway. They use different hdd. Well the Toshiba(Windows 7)uses the same hdd and I swapped them out last night. The Gateway boots with the Toshiba hdd and when I put the Gateway hdd in it will try and boot and then it stops with "No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key"

So I put it back into the Gateway and just stops at the logo.

So I was looking on ebay for Vista OS disc and found a Windows Vista OS system restore recovery repair boot. Is it possible this is the same info that Best Buy did for me when I purchased the computer or is mine just going to wipe out my stuff and put it back to factory.

Thanks

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

If it is a recovery disc it shouldn't effect your data.

The recovery disc must be the same version of Window (Home, Prl., and same 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Having said that, you should always have your important data backed up on removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive, discs, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users