Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop Black Screen after hibernate

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

I am at my wit's end.

I tried to wake up this piece of garbage. It is awake, yet, the effing thing will not get out of a black screen.

I tried closing the laptop once, and the screen did show. It was on the "locking your computer...." screen. But that was taking way longer than usual to load, so I closed it again just to open it up and the screen was black and now will not function at all.

The thing responds to unplugging USB devices, I unplugged my mouse and it made the normal noise it makes when you unplug a USB device.

I cannot log into it and the screen is black so I don't know what current state it is in, other than whenever I press most of the keys, the damn thing makes another noise. A common one, like... when you try to backspace and you can't.

I think most people are going to tell me to just force-shut it down. I can't do that!!!!! I have unsaved work! I don't want to lose it!!!!

At this rate I am waiting for the battery to drain so that it will automatically hibernate, and perhaps the screen will not glitch when I plug it in and wake it up.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to save this piece of trash that doesn't involve me waiting several hours for it to lose power?

The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hello ! Sense you have a HP lap top, it might be better to ask for help on the HP help forum. You can start here, but I doubt if your work will be saved in the condition you are in at the moment!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Maybe others have a better solution to your issue.

PS There are ways you could try to save your work, but that involves using a puppy linux OS and is a lot of work.

puppy linux lupo.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

PS I have posted these before in BC Tips and Tricks. Got no responce???

Edited by donetao, 06 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#3 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

Please, someone help. Please. I can't lose my damn work.

#4 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hello! There are ways to recover data with software like Recuva after the PC is up and running. I know you are upset, but screaming here on the BC forum will not help. I have given you the best advise that I know of. If you want further advise, you will just have to wait until a nother member responds to your issue.

#5 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hello! There are ways to recover data with software like Recuva after the PC is up and running. I know you are upset, but screaming here on the BC forum will not help. I have given you the best advise that I know of. If you want further advise, you will just have to wait until a nother member responds to your issue.

I wasn't screaming, and I wasn't talking to you. I sent that message so that other people could see that the issue is not resolved. Thank you anyway.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

PS There are ways you could try to save your work, but that involves using a puppy linux OS and is a lot of work.

puppy linux lupo.

As far as I can see the Op's problem is he dose not want to shut down his Pc because there is work on it the Op needs to save.

Enlighten me on how the op can use puppy linux without a reboot please.

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hello! It is a  long process. I have posted the links that explains the whole process. I have used it before and I know it works. The puppy love linux CD allows you to boot into Windows using the RAM. Then you can copy your data to a external HD. If you read the links provided, you should be able to accomplish this. I'm not a linux person and I only use the puppy love lupo to recover data from a HD that doesn't want to boot into Windows. If you have a better solution, I would like to hear it as I'm always ready to learn. I'm sure the OP would like a solution also. I see no other way to save his work at this time.

#8 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Alright all, thanks for the help, I'm planning to let the computer sit and run out of power so it will automatically hibernate. Maybe after it does hibernate, I can plug it in, start it up again, and this glitch with the screen will be gone. Thanks.

#9 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Well, I gave up after the thing didn't even shut down when the power got low. I lost all my work. At this rate I do not care. Thanks for the help, all. I appreciate the effort.

#10 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

You are very welcome. Sorry to hear your problem didn't work out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users