Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cryptolocker Aid

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tatiana90434

Tatiana90434

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hello,

So some time yesterday, someone in my family clicked a bad link and accidentally downloaded Cryptlocker. When I found this out, I tried to get rid of it. First I rebooted my computer, starting it up on safe mode with a command prompt. That didn't work. 

I then used our McAfee virus scanner, downloaded a second virus scanner (Avira), and scanned the computer. However, the scanners didn't detect Cryptolocker.

I then found manual ways of getting rid of Cryptolocker online, so I tried a few out. The first was telling me where to look; %AppData&; Microsoft; Windows. Nothing. I scanned the AppData folders, and nothing.

I then used this tutorial but I couldn't get past the first few steps because when I went through the Windows Task Manager's "process" section, I didn't find anything with the name "Cryptolocker". I clicked on a random file to delete it (it was called Zkauhxfbmpubhr.exe and was run by Administrator) and at first it got rid of the Cryptolocker pop up, but then it just came right back.

(Also, for some reason, since the virus came in the volume adjustments and the "standby" button are greyed out, and Skype doesn't work properly. I don't know if that's a problem with the virus or just my computer.)

I have no idea what else to do. I can't find Cryptolocker anywhere on my computer, but it's still there, and my files are still affected. I even went to "folder options" and checked the "show hidden files and folders" and unchecked the "hide protected operating systems files" and did a search and a scan, but nothing popped up again.

I've been told that it's easy to get rid of Cryptolocker, but I'm starting to doubt that. It just won't go away. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2014 - 08:03 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I then used this tutorial

When searching for suspicious files, new malware or malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee.

With that said, a repository of all current knowledge regarding Cryptolocker is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Reading that Guide will help you understand what CryptoLocker Ransomware does and provide information for how to deal with it and possibly recover your files.

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: Cryptolocker Hijack Program. Since this infection is so widespread, rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

Note: If you only need removal instructions, refer to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Removal instructions for CryptoLocker, however, I recommend you read the above Info Guide and FAQ before doing so.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users