Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jakensen

Jakensen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi everybody,

I currently have a problem on my main machine,

Here are the global specs :

Intel - i7 3770K

Corsair - H100i

MSI - Mpower Z77

EVGA - GTX 770

Corsair - 4x4GB LP

NZXT - Hale90 750W

Samsung - 840 128GB

Microsoft - Windows 7

My gf turned my computer off and it applied updates before shutting down.

When she tried to boot again it wouldn't boot and would hang on start up.

When I came back from work I tried to boot again, still hanging.

Tried in Safe Mode and it would hang at ClassPNP..

Tried to start with Command Prompt, same problem..

I then proceeded to restore my PC but it would not work with error 0x80070057..

I applied the fix suggested by MS on their website and modified the registry to allow BufferedSynchronouslo etc.

Did not work..

When I use startup repair it gives me the following error :

Startuprepairoffline, Autofailover, Bad driver, etc.

The only solution that seems to work and that I am currently applying is a complete system image recovery..

Any body else got this problem today ? Let's say the recovery works I'd still like to understand the problem.

Could it be that the update rendered my SSD or any other part uncompatible with my actual system ?

Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated guys !

PS : I tried using sfc /scannow but whether I run it offdir or not it always say a reparation is pending and I'll have to start it after a reboot..

I tried multiple times, made sure I was listing the correct drive when using offdir and windir but it just won't work..

Edited by Jakensen, 06 May 2014 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hello!

The hard drive may be effected negatively by an improper shut down. This is because the read and write heads will have been in the middle of a process, meaning that they will be rotating at high speeds when your computer shut down. In a normal shut down, these heads will slow to a stop, but in an improper shut down they will stop abruptly, and your heads or hard drive itself can be damaged or corrupted.

PS I guess this would't affect SSD??

#3 Jakensen

Jakensen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:05 AM

Hello!

The hard drive may be effected negatively by an improper shut down. This is because the read and write heads will have been in the middle of a process, meaning that they will be rotating at high speeds when your computer shut down. In a normal shut down, these heads will slow to a stop, but in an improper shut down they will stop abruptly, and your heads or hard drive itself can be damaged or corrupted.

Yeah.. This wouldn't affect a SSD. And I'm never one to shutdown my computer improperly. I think the update that failed was an a security update for IE 11. I restored my PC using my latest complete system image and then did my updates. Thank god I have my data and a good part of my programs on another HDD. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hello!

No, this would not effect a SSD.  An SSD does not have a mechanical arm to read and write data, it instead relies on an embedded processor called a controller, this means that there is no read or write head on a SSD.  There no moving parts in a SSD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Kakensen, how are you initiating the startup repair?

Are you using the installation disc?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Jakensen

Jakensen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Kakensen, how are you initiating the startup repair?

Are you using the installation disc?

I tried using a repair disk, using a windows 7 CD and by the classic F8 + Repair, none of them would let me use sfc /scannow or sfc /scannow offdir windir..

I tried restoring from the three of them, no luck. I had to do a complete system image restoration in order to acess a functionning system again..

I'll mark this thread as resolved as I have fixed my problem.

I just wanted to know if people had similar problems during 05/06 updates.

Thanks for your help !

Edited by Jakensen, 07 May 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hello! That's a real bummer. I run W7 home and I have all the current up dates installed. I'm trying to learn these things. When you run the repair CD, what options are you given?? The only thing that comes to my mind is that some how your OS got corrupted. May I ask what you used to do complete image restore.

Edited by donetao, 07 May 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#8 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

Do you see these options??

Attached Files

Edited by donetao, 07 May 2014 - 11:34 PM.

#9 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

Here are my latest up dates. I'm learning!!

You can teach a old dog new tricks and I'm learning new tricks here every day :bubbles:

Won't let me load the whole log, so will load a part of it.

Attached Files

Edited by donetao, 07 May 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

I tried using a repair disk, using a windows 7 CD and by the classic F8 + Repair, none of them would let me use sfc /scannow or sfc /scannow offdir windir..

I tried restoring from the three of them, no luck. I had to do a complete system image restoration in order to acess a functionning system again.

For a future referece, you need a installation disc to access the System Recovery Options.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Edited by dc3, 08 May 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#11 Jakensen

Jakensen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

For a future referece, you need a installation disc to access the System Recovery Options.

First, this is not true. You can access these options without an installation disc. Simply by doing F8 then Repair.

Second, I have an installation disc, I tried with both the installation disc and with F8 then Repair and in both case it would not work.

Tried a startup repair : wouldn't work. It would come out with something saying : Startuprepairoffline, Autofailover, Bad driver, etc.

Tried command prompt with sfc /scannow /offbootdir /offwindir but it would not work wether with an installation disc or F8 then Repair : would give me a reparation pending.

Tried system restore : did not work either I had an error 0x80070057..

The only thing that worked to resolve my problem was to do a System Image Recovery.

And my problem is currently fixed, I was just curious to see if anybody else had that problem. 

Edited by Jakensen, 13 May 2014 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users