Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Can't Get Out Of Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gregp

gregp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

I am on Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2.

I switched to safe mode, minimal to try and remove a stubborn program. It didn't work so I decided to try safe mode, minimal, alternate shell. This opened windows in safe mode but also opened a cmd.exe window. When I exit this window there is a black screen with safe mode in the corners but nothing else (except a description of which XP version I'm using at the top).

Now I can't get Windows to open normally. I have tried rebooting, hitting F8, and selecting start windows normally, (and just about every other option), but it continues to start in safe mode with the cmd.exe window.

How can I get back to starting in "normal" Windows?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

Sounds like maybe your BOOT.inin file may have become corrupt.

Not too sure though...

Repair install may be your best option at this point

OR if you are comfortable in editing system files, you may want to take a look at what your boot.ini file is telling your computer

More info available at your request

Peace Outside
JU$T1N~1

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

How did you get to safe mode with command prompt in the first place - did you do something other than tap F8 when the bios was posting and selecting safe mode with command prompt?

Using the command prompt:
Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If that doesn't work:

Reboot into safe mode (tap F8 as soon as the bios begins to post and before Windows starts) and choose last known good configuration.

If that doesn't work, if you can bring up the task manager (ctrl/alt/del) you can invoke System Restore from it by selecting "New Task".
Type in "CMD" without quotes.
Click ok.
From the Command Prompt type the following:

1. <c:\> is already displayed, if not type "cd\" and hit enter.
2.cd c:\windows\system32\restore and hit enter again
3.rstrui and hit enter

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

If you're using bootsafe.exe the only way you can back into normal mode is to open bootsafe.exe and reboot into normal mode from its interface.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#5 gregp

gregp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

Enthusiast (and others),

Success! Thank you very much and thanks to the others for trying to help. The first option worked - FYI.

BTW, I got there by using run msconfig and making changes via the configuration utility. I just used it again to go back to Normal Start-Up.

Thanks again!!

Greg :thumbsup:

Edited by gregp, 22 May 2006 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users