Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data After Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SLR

SLR

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have a pentium 4 machine running Windows XP professional. I reinstalled windows in the partition C. I forgot to save some of my word documents. I know all of my data in the partition C was deleted but is there a way I can recover my documents.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

Any data that could be recovered from the Hard Drive would have to be at a professional level

You are going to have to weigh your options.

$$ Tech Shop / Deal with the loss
JU$T1N~1

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:51 PM

There are some free software programs available that can recover these files, maybe. The first thing is to STOP using the computer in question. Turn it off and don't turn it back on. Remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a slave drive. Install the file recovery software on the other computer and attempt to recover the files. I just went through this last week and was not successfull. See THIS.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 22 May 2006 - 03:52 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

You may find some useful information in the following article in which Fred Langa discusses hex file editors that are used to recover deleted and overwritten files.

Langa Letter: Deep-Geek File And Disk Tools
http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...79102805&pgno=2

#5 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

There are some free software programs available that can recover these files, maybe. The first thing is to STOP using the computer in question. Turn it off and don't turn it back on. Remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a slave drive. Install the file recovery software on the other computer and attempt to recover the files. I just went through this last week and was not successfull. See THIS.

Dang... you weren't able to salvage those files? What was the name of the program you used to pull those files off the drive??

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:24 AM

Recovering files depends on whether or not they have been overwritten and then how many times.

It also depends on fragmentation.

There are commercial recovery experts that can recover much of what was on the disc unless it was overwitten specifically to prevent that, but they are VERY expensive.

#7 kathe

kathe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

I think you can try EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard "Advanced Recovery" or "Raw Recovery" function. This program has succeed with me. I hope it can help you solve your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users