Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JVC LT-40DG51J TV connected to PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Codine

Codine

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hello,

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section.

I've got a 40" JVC LT-40DG51J TV. And I'm trying to get the sound from a PC tower to come through the TV speakers.

The only connection I can find next to the VGA port on the TV is a SPDIF.

I've got a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack going fromt the SPDIF to the sound card on the tower.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get sound from the TV..

The tower is running Windows XP, and the motherboard is: K8M800-M2

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

The SPDIF is an RCA connector, not a 3.5mm.

You need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable.  The 3.5mm goes to the green connector on your motherboard.

I recommend Monoprice for great cables at low prices.

Edited by RKilroy, 06 May 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Codine

Codine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

The SPDIF is an RCA connector, not a 3.5mm.

You need a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable.  The 3.5mm goes to the green connector on your motherboard.

I recommend Monoprice for great cables at low prices.

Oh, I'll have to order one of them then. Thanks so much for your help I was at a complete loss. I think I might have one, but I'm unsure so I'll have a look on google images, then If I've got one that look simular, i'll post a picture.

Thanks for your help!

~Codine

#4 Codine

Codine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Just checked - I've got a cable like that, but it has Red, White & Yellow connections. Would that be okay to use providing I don't use the Yellow one? Also, would I need to change any settings on the TV?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Probably won't work as it is for a video camera, the yellow connector is a video, there are probably three rings on the 3.5mm side and it is longer than a standard audio 3.5mm.  You want a 3.5mm with two rings and a red and white RCA jacks on the other end.

#6 Codine

Codine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Probably won't work as it is for a video camera, the yellow connector is a video, there are probably three rings on the 3.5mm side and it is longer than a standard audio 3.5mm.  You want a 3.5mm with two rings and a red and white RCA jacks on the other end.

Hi, Just a quick update - I've plugged it in, and I've got sound. Woohoo! Well chuffed! Thanks for your help it's very much appreciated!

#7 Codine

Codine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

Mod/Admin: I've fixed the problem now, if you would be kind enough to either lock/delete this thread. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users