Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft ACPI compliant system driver needs updating?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chockablocked

chockablocked

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Good morning everybody,

I have an IBM T43 running Windows XP.  I have always used just an administrator account.  I've read that it would be safer to run my computer on a limited account, so I created one.  When going back to the administrator account, I tried to put the computer in standby.  This is when the message about the Microsoft ACPI compliant system driver needs updating popped up.  Needless to say, the computer wouldn't go into standby.

I deleted my limited account, rebooted, and now the comuter goes into standby as it used to.  Hmm, anybody know how I might open a limited account, and be able to go into standby?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

It may just boil down to permissions. Check this out, though it requires some registry editing. If you're doubtful of anything or have any hesitation, don't do it.

However at the moment, it's all that I can find, will post if a simpler option is found.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/09/370263.aspx

EDIT: Here's another, that may be more self-explanatory.

http://everydaytechstuff.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/delegating-power-options-management-to-limited-users-in-xp/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 06 May 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users