Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No music or sound all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Primera

Primera

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

Hey guys, Wondering if someone can help. I'm running windows 7 and have an AMD Phenom 2 Hex core. The other day I turned my computer on and noticed there was no music or sound coming out of my speakers. I changed the speakers over and same problem. I looked in device manager and both my AMD HD audio device and Realtek HD audio device are working properly. I then tried uninstalling my drivers and re installing, that still didn't fix it. When I turn my speakers on I can hear the brief crackle so i know they are working. Another curiosity is whenever I play an mp3 in windows media player, it says "windows media player encountered a problem when playing this file", and it won't play, additionally, when I try to use any other MP3 player, it simply freezes and will not play the song.

Does anyone know what my problem may be? Would be stoked for an answer because I'm all out of ideas :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hello ! You might give this a try!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab4&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

here's a good tutorial from HP!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01884922&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

#3 Primera

Primera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:59 AM

Tried everything in both those links, no luck still! Thankyou anyway though as they were pretty exhaustive!

What baffles me is the fact that windows media player will not play the file at all, which leads me to believe it may be a software issue? 

Any other opinions?

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hey Primera,

Have you plugged headphones into the audio jack and checked if that works correctly?

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 Primera

Primera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

Just tried it, no sound :(

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

When you look in the lower right of your scree in your task bar do you see the sound icon with a red circle with a line through it?

Thanks,

Darktune

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

I changed the speakers over and same problem.

Please clarify that you used a different set of speakers which also produced no sound.

There is one thing which is not mentioned in the HP tutorial.

Control Panel/Sounds/Playback.

Make sure your sound device is enabled by highlighting the entry listed in the main box. Click PROPERTIES.

If enabled, the box to the right of Device usage will say "Use this device (enable).

If you cannot get your sound back it could be the sound card has died.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 May 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#8 Primera

Primera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

Sound icon looks fine, just no actual sound, sound card is integrated with the motherboard so I think component failure and new motherboard :(

#9 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Make sure your sound device is enabled by highlighting the entry listed in the main box. Click PROPERTIES.

If enabled, the box to the right of Device usage will say "Use this device (enable).

Attached File  Capture48.JPG   83.51KB   0 downloads

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

No reason to buy a new motherboard...if/when a sound chip goes out.  Actual soundcards (USB, PCIe, PCI) are still sold...they are considerably cheaper than a motherboard.

Louis

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Laptop or desktop? Desktop install of a sound card is very simple. I have no clue how one would deal with a laptop.

In addition to cards, there are USB sound cards.

#12 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

In addition to the above posts if your Desktop/Laptop isn't custom built you may have a guarantee on it. I'd check this before you purchase anything.

Thanks,

Darktune 

#13 Primera

Primera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

It is custom built unfortunately, but the USB sound card sounds like a good fix! I didn't even know they existed. Ill pick one up soon and hopefully things will start working again. Cheers guys :)

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Card or USB device is your choice. If you decide on an internal card just make sure you have an expansion slot available for it.

Let us know how it turns out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users