Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Note 2 turns itself on and off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

Not exactly correct but didn't know how to title this problem.  About every 2 minutes my home screen illuminates for about 15 seconds and then goes dark again.  2 minutes later it does it again, and again, and again.  This has been going on for about 4 days now and I don't know why.  At first I thought it was the facial recognization, but even with that turned off it keeps doing the same thing.  I turned off wifi and then turned on airplane mode and it is still coming on and then going off.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hey there,

Have you checked your screen time-out settings for your device? 

Note 2 timeout duration

1. From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Display.
  4. Tap Brightness.
  5. Tap Screen timeout.
  6. Tap a higher time

Taken from here

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

The screen is set to dim after 1 minute.  Changed it to 5 but didn't make any difference.  The problem is not that it turns off, it is that it turns ON after going dark.

This is the 2nd time I have entered text here only to have it display with a line through it!  One more irritation to deal with....LOL

Edit: Removed strikethrough BBCode tags from post.~ Animal

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Next time your writing has a line through it press the following "CTRL" and "U" at the same time.

What do you mean it turns on after doing dark?

Thanks,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

By any chance do you have the Gravity Screen app installed? If not it's possible you have a proximity sensor malfunctioning or something is making use of the proximity sensor.

As for your strike through posts, make sure the button in the bottom row of icons in the reply window. Fourth one from the left the S with a line thorough it is not highlighted. That's strike through. And why you typed everything with a line through it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

I do not have the program gravity installed.  What happens is that the phone will just be sitting there and then the screen lights up for about 15 seconds and then goes dark again.  About 2 minutes later it will light up for about 15 seconds and then go dark.  This has been going on continuously for about a week now.   It does not matter where my phone is.  It can be in my pocket or on my desk or on the kitchen table, every 2 minutes it lights up to my home screen.

I now see the strike through mode...duh....

Edited by ArcticPrince, 08 May 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

When the screen lights up is there any sort of notification associated?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:17 AM

No notifications, it just acts as if you had pushed the main button on the bottom center.  Lights up the home screen for 15 seconds and then goes dark again.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Something is triggering this behavior but I'm at a loss for what it could be. Since this is just a recent occurrence something was either installed or an update changed an existing application to make this happen. That's the only explanation I can extrapolate from the current information.

The only thing I can come up with is a factory reset to see if that makes it stop. Then you can fairly comfortably say something on the day or day prior to this behavior changed and created this anomaly. I realize a factory reset is drastic and you may want to weigh the annoyance vs the headache of reinstalling apps one by one to find your culprit. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of a better troubleshooting method at this time.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the input!  Now to work up my courage and find the opportune time to do a factory reset.  I am in Afghanistan at the moment, so will probably wait until I return to the US.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

You're quite welcome, from the Bleeping Computer community. I just wish I had a less drastic solution. Thank you for your service. Have a safe journey home.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 sajilv

sajilv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

it will be mobile's hardware problem
, sometimes changeing the panel of the mobile fixes the problem. Go to the nearest service center immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users