Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive inaccessible after interrupting check disk data

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chocosyrup

chocosyrup

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

I have a 1TB Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 Portable Hard Drive. After Plugging it in, a check disk window pop upped and I chose the option to automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors but was interrupted because a friend of mine got impatient and clicked cancel. after that, my hard drive became inaccessible. When I tried opening the hard drive an error message appear: Corrupted Hard Drive the Parameter is incorrect. after searching for a solution on that problem, I found sites which said that using cmd chkdsk on the hard drive might fix the problem. so I ran chkdsk using cmd and I think it got interrupted again. I left it alone for half a day and when I checked it again, the cmd was gone. I assumed that it was already finished running chkdsk but when I tried accessing my hard drive again It now said that I need to format the disk before I can use it. when clicking cancel, an error again appeared: Location is not available. A: is not Accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Any Idea how to fix it? Is it still fixable? All my important files are there so I'm a little worried. I appreciate all the help that I will get.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

When attached to the computer, does the drive show as RAW in Disk Management?

#3 chocosyrup

chocosyrup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Yes. It does.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

I believe the file system is corrupted.

The following procedure may not work but look at this page. See if TestDisk can find your partitions. Do not write a new partition table if you cannot see your files. If TestDisk starts reporting errors as it is scanning the Disk, stop the scan and post back.

You can download the last free version of Parted Magic here. If you wish the latest version is a $5 download.

If test disk cannot find your partiton(s), other software will be needed to recover the files.

By the way, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 May 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#5 chocosyrup

chocosyrup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

OK.I shall try.

And thank you.

#6 chocosyrup

chocosyrup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:19 AM

Well, It did not work. It said that check_FAT: can't read FAT boot sector
Invalid FAT boot sector.
I've seen another error before that which said invalid NTFS or exFAT boot.
Worth a try though.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

Instead of Analyze, select Advanced then Boot. Does the Boot sector show as okay, both it and the backup? Quit and post back the results. Do you remember if the drive was originally formatted Fat32?

#8 chocosyrup

chocosyrup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

The boot sector status is bad but the backup boot sector is OK. I can't remember if it's FAT32.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

That news is promising.

Go through the steps selecting Advanced, Boot, then select Backup BS > enter then Y for confirmation. It may take awhile. Then Q for Quit

Can you see the data on the drive? You may have to safely eject and reattach the drive. If not, Analyze the drive again and look for the lost partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 May 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#10 chocosyrup

chocosyrup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

I still cannot see the data on the drive so I did analyze again.I entered quick search and it found one. Then I did a deep search and there's this error again,check_FAT can't read boot sector invalid boot sector. Should i finish the deep search? The status of the boot sector and backup boot sector is OK after doing the advance, boot, and backupbs though.

Edited by chocosyrup, 09 May 2014 - 05:18 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

After the Quick Search it found a partition. Did you select the partiton then press the P key to see if you could see any files on the disk? If you did not, run Analyze again and after the Quick Search select the Partition and press the P key. You should see all of your files and folders on the disk. If not exit out of the program. If you do see your all of your files and folders then select Write. After writing reboot and see if the files are are the disk. If they are, copy over the very important files first. Then any other files you need. You should run chkdsk again after copying over your files to another drive.

If you do not see your files and folders after the Quick Search, other software is needed to recover the files.

One is freeware called PhotoRec that is part of the TestDisk software. The problem is any software recovered will have a generic name with it's extension. Because the recovery is in realtime to another disk, you will probably have to transfer the files during the recovery process to some other storage device if the drive that is receiving the recovered files has less disk capacity than your external drive. One option would be to recover only a few extenstions at a time but this would be more stress on the disk. If you do this, I would recommend the Windows version of PhotoRec. Make sure the files being recovered are saved to a device other than the Toshiba drive or your files will be lost.

Here is a video showing PhotoRec on Ubuntu but the process is similar in Windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJdx2ORi3r4

Here is another. The Title is Testdisk but the video is using PhotoRec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWbSM-630E

Another option is with paid software. Both give the opportunity to see your files after the scan. One tries to rebuild the partition table and then mount the disk so the files can be viewed with full names but costs $140. It's called DiskInternals Partition Recovery

A less expensive option is Active@File Recovery. This will scan your files like PhotoRec but it should give the names of your files for recovery. You may have to use the SuperScan to recover the files. With the discount code the Pro Version would be $35

http://www.file-recovery.com/screens.htm

Video showing Recovery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRDvuIhu4vg

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 May 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#12 chocosyrup

chocosyrup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:07 AM

Wow, I was able to recover my files using diskinetrnals. Thank you Very Much. I was wondering though if my External Hard Drive would still be usable?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

Your Welcome. It's great you got your files back.

Thanks goes to BC Advisor Anshad Edavana for telling me about DiskInternals Partition Recovery. A very powerful tool.

I would do a diagnostic on the drive. Seagate Tools for Windows should be able to detect the drive and run the diagnostic. See how it reports the health of the disk. Another tool you can use is GsmartControl. If you run and run the scan and it detects attributes that have failed, I would stop using the drive and return it if still under warranty.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Screenshots

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Wow, I was able to recover my files using diskinetrnals. Thank you Very Much. I was wondering though if my External Hard Drive would still be usable?

I would say Yes it is usable, The hardware of the HDD is fine, You only damaged the files,   What you can try now is format the drive to fat32 or NTFS. And it should be fine.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 May 2014 - 07:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users