Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete a folder on the desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hello,

Earlier today, I created a folder. I don't know what happened, but now I can't do anything with it. When I try to delete it, it gives the error message:

Could not find this item.

This is no longer located in C:\Users\User\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again.

Folder Name

Date created: 5/5/2014 8:39 PM

When I try to open the folder, I get the error message:

C:\Users\User\Desktop\Folder Name is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the l

-EDIT: Yes, it did cut off like this.

I have Webroot anti-virus. Just as experiment, I right-clicked the folder, and seleceted Permanently erase with Webroot. Webroot thinks it removed it, but the folder is still there.

I created the folder, so it is not a hijack or anything like that. What I think may have happened is that I had the folder open in more than one place or something like that. Anyway, I really want to get rid of it, because I like to keep my desktop tidy.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT 2: This is the only affected folder, by the way. I have several others on my desktop and they work just as normal.

Edited by EffectiveBones484, 05 May 2014 - 11:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

Reboot the computer and see if the folder is still there.

#3 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Sometimes just hitting F5 to refresh the Desktop will show that the file/folder is not actually there anymore.

#4 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just got home and logged on. The folder wasn't there anymore. Thank you both for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users