Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft may bring Office to Linux in 2014

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

For me at least, the bigger question is whether this is a good thing or not. I'm always excited to see more software become available for Linux since it increases the chance that we may get a new user whom was holding out for that application. But, of the many companies who would participate in this Microsoft is among the least trusted seeing as they are the very image of proprietary software and shady dealings; and are thus not prone to getting the support of myself or others in the Free Software movement. But also, will the Linux userbase even embrace it?

http://opensuseadventures.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/microsoft-may-bring-office-to-linux-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+AdventuresInOpensuseLinux+%28Adventures+in+openSUSE+Linux%29

There goes Linux security.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 May 2014 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Personally i would like to see CAD software like "Autocad" and Adobe's softwares available to Linux platforms. But i don't think that will happen in the near future.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

This would be a milestone for Linux users. By allowing MS Office installs on Linux OS's, they are conceding that they're losing market share of Windows & now wants to regain some of it back with Office. And are setting the stage for no more costly Windows licences, or the purchase of a new computer for that matter.

Otherwise, I can't see why now openly allowing this, as there has been a way to install MS Office in WINE.

Progress is being made, already has been on the gaming end. If there were no demand, there would have been no Linux advancement in these areas.

However, NickAu1 does bring up a point. Assuming current Linux growth, usershare is already moving. Adding MS Office will allow more gains. This brings up his point, MS is the most targeted OS for malware because it's the biggest target (& the weakest at the same time). Linux developers will need to be sure to extensively test how this is going to work, to ensure that no back doors for malware will be opened. Otherwise, allowing MS Office installs will be five steps in reverse for the Linux community.

Linux has always based itself on being a secure OS for everyday use. No new app should place that status at risk & I don't believe that Linus Torvalds will let that happen. He calls the shots with the Linux platform, not M$.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,581 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

I doubt it will happen.

We see it everyday people saying " I cant migrate to linux I need office" , Well if office was on Linux why bother buying Windows when you get Linux for free.  Then those same people would see that Linux has a few great office suites and they are also free and think, Why buy M$?

Linux developers will need to be sure to extensively test how this is going to work, to ensure that no back doors for malware will be opened

I cant see M$ allowing Linux geeks acess to source code, The hospitals of the world couldnt cope with the sudden influx of geeks suffering from split sides after laughing so hard at the M$ code.

The Linux forums would have a feild day with it.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 May 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

The Linux forums would have a feild day with it.

Yes, they would!

Plus most Linux users whom needs Office has either adapted to Libre Office, which is better than the older Open Office & there's still always the WINE install option. Which likely only a small minority even bothers with. But it's there as an option for those who does.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 globalinternethostin

globalinternethostin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

HUH? the open source community would never let mr hijacker of software patents FRONT RUN any open source which everyone owns and collaborates. to allow the enemy of open source into the public realm is no different than letting the vampire into your front door.
BE SMART.

#7 Ms. Frizz

Ms. Frizz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

I am one of those people who dual boots Windows and Linux largely because I need MS Office (Word in particular). I work as a freelance writer/ghostwriter, and the majority of my assignments require Word. I usually research and do the preliminary writing in Linux/LibreOffice, then do my final editing and formatting in Word. I've found that sometimes a piece done in LO and saved in .doc or .docx looks different when opened in MS Word, and if I want to get paid/avoid complaints I have to make sure the client is happy when he/she opens the file in Word. So, if proper security and quality control can be achieved, I would like to have the option to use MS Office/Word in Linux along with LO (I have both LO and MS Office installed on the Windows side, btw). I know that people with Macs have their own version of Office, so why not Linux?  

This might cause some computer users to stop using Windows all together, but the fact is that many others dislike change. Mr. Frizz, for instance, uses Windows only and Internet Explorer at least 90% of the time. Even after dealing with the Homeland Security virus this weekend on his secondary computer, he had no interest in my offer to set up a dual boot so he could use Linux for net surfing. 

Edited by Ms. Frizz, 09 June 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Ms. Frizz, welcome to BC Forums! :)

If you have a retail copy of whatever version of Windows you're using, it can be installed into a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox, on your Linux OS to have quick & conveinent access to both as needed. Windows 7 (OEM) & 8.1 both are available on the Newegg site, oftentimes on promo.

Thought I'd share the tip.

Enjoy the site, there's much valuable information & tutorials here.

Cat

#9 Ms. Frizz

Ms. Frizz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

@cat1092--I may try a virtual machine sometime in the future again. When I HAVE to move beyond Windows 7, I might get a machine with no OS, install Linux, and put Win 8, 9 or whatever version in a VM to avoid dealing with stuff like secure boot. I used VB for a little while to play with Linux before setting up the dual boot on my primary laptop, but it seemed to have some quirks that affected functionality (screen resolution, touchpad issues, and/or problems with guest additions).

The first computer that I put Linux on has only a 10.1" screen, 1 GB RAM, and no dvd drive (too small and under-powered for a VM), so I experimented with various Linux distros on usb drives that I learned to make through Pendrive Linux. I chose the one that worked best, installing in place of XP (32-bit PCLOS). I added it as a dual boot with Win 7 on another older laptop with similar specs a few weeks later.

After mixed results with VB on my full-size laptop and an afternoon of work-related research using Win 7 where I almost got infected by the same trojan twice, I started trying out various 64-bit distros on usb drives. Eventually, PCLOS released a new version of its 64-bit iso, fixing things that had kept me from installing it as a dual boot on the full-size laptop. Later I added it to my desktop. With the Win 7 computers, I was able to partition my C Drive using their disk management tool and easily create a working dual boot.  

Re: MS Office for Linux, I think a cross-platform version would work well for someone like me. I'm not a gamer, so that is probably my main compatibility problem preventing me from using Linux for everything.

Edited by Ms. Frizz, 09 June 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Ms. Fuzz, that's the one thing about VBox, to successfully run a VM of anything, there has to be some ponies under the hood, as in adequate RAM & CPU resources, otherwise the whole computer will be dragged down & nothing will get done.

I also feel that having a cross-platform will work well, there is already a Mac version & has been for years, Linux usage is on the rise, MS knows this & I feel they'll adjust to the market. Note that the Google OS's are also Linux based, those users are in the total count of Linux customers. 

Also, at the same time, I see MS's market share falling below the 90% mark in the future, once that number dips below 90% for the first time, it's on. Market share will plunge again by double digits in no time once announced, in fact, I believe that MS will attempt to conceal it (any market share loss) for that reason. MS has held that amount of market share for a long, long time, falling below that (the 90% mark) will cause mass panic within the corporation (further management shakeup) & it's investors will dump shares like hot coals.

MS will then be forced to accept whatever market share it can get & that will include Office for Linux, perhaps even something similar to the Boot Camp environment where Windows itself is running on Linux powered computers.

Cat

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,581 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

M$ office runs well in Wine on linux. You still need a genuine office activation key.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

M$ office runs well in Wine on linux. You still need a genuine office activation key.

That's great to hear!

The only caveat that I've found with Wine is that it doesn't run well on low spec computers. However, on a decent dual core CPU, along with 4GB or more RAM, Wine will run good enough to get the task done.

Cat

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,581 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

Runs fine on Puppy Linux with 1 gig ram  and a Intel core duo @1.6 ghz, Oh yes sorry, thats a Hi spec machine for Puppy Linux.

:guitar: And they call it Puppy Love :guitar:

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Actually I haven't used WINE that much, did try playing around with the software. This was a few years back & there's been new releases since, so I'd expect improvement.

An Intel Core Duo running at 1.6GHz is a far better option than many of the older P4's, the Pentium dual core & Celerons of today.

And far better than the 1.5GHz AMD Athlon X2 3250e CPU that was in what's now a dead PC sitting in the corner. I did upgrade the CPU to a compatible 2.4GHz one, however the PSU is bad. As soon as I can get to it, will turn it into a Linux Media Center PC.

Will have to try the WINE thing again, have an extra Office install that's older & unused. Maybe it was how I had it configured.

Cat

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

On the one hand people using Linux is the last thing that Microsoft wants, but on the other hand there's nothing they can do about it.

I personally intend to keep an installation of XP for as long as possible, so that I can use Microsoft Word. That is the only Windows program that I would say I ''need,'' but I certainly don't want to buy another Windows operating system just so that I can use it.

It's possible that Microsoft has estimated that there are enough extra profits to be made from Linux users who would buy Office, or some components of it, to outweigh any losses from people who might move from Windows to Linux, just because they can use Office on it.

After all, financial gain is the only reason they would do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users