Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ew...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

I brought up roaches once before...  blech...
I fix computers for people mostly to help out.  I don't advertise a lot, it's mostly word of mouth now but started with a group on facebook.  I do my best to fix problems and tell people to pay what they can.  No set rate. 
If you've read some of my topics you might have seen before... I have trouble with making decisions... There are times I get stuck on something and I wonder why on earth I bother...  I like to help, and a couple dollars here and there never hurts... 
SO many tricky issues come up sometimes.  Seems at least half the computers I work on run into more time than I'd imagine...
Recently I even worked on a computer that I had to give up on... it had a graphics/motherboard issue and had been "fixed" by dell twice already...  the owner was FAR more accepting of it than I was...  She let me keep the money she gave me to work on it AND keep the laptop for parts.  She wouldn't let me refund her...(she gets free work next time she needs help of course)...  Not fixing it drove me nuts though... I don't like being stuck...
But FAR more frustrating than that is...  bugs.  I have a bit of OCD and germaphobia.  I don't wash my hands 20 times a day... well, not 50 anyway...  but, some people's computers GROSS me out... (one of the reasons I use a switch... I use MY keyboard, mouse, and monitor on their machine)...  But some are grosser than others... and I've worked on a few with bugs in them...  laptops, I hate taking them apart JUST to see if there are bugs in there...  but, I do.  Open it all up outside of the house before bringing it in.  Sometimes, I end up doing the work outside because of bugs. 
But what about desktops?  Unless I have a monitor I can drag around with me... and a LONG LONG LONG ethernet cable...  I'm really limited to inside work...
Hey, in case Bruce is reading...  I don't have a place like a workshop outside of my house that I can use... and I really don't have room IN the house to set up a safe area for the work.  Laptops, sometimes I put them on something with duct tape around just in case... but only on laptops I think are safe anyway...  Man am I paranoid...
anyway, there's just no easy way to do it.
Today someone contacted me on facebook looking for help.  I asked if they had any bugs/roaches in their house... as, they LOVE the inside of a computer.  She said that there weren't any inside the computer as far as she knew....  grrr...  that wasn't a direct answer was it?  I didn't feel like pressing the issue(I'm not good with confrontations) and my wife picked it up... when she got home I took it out to open it up...  Talk about DIRTY...  heat sink was caked solid...  nothing moving...
So, I dragged our mini wet/dry vac outside and connected the hose on the other side so it would blow air.  LOTS of stuff went flying including enough dead roaches to CREEP me out... even some dried up old egg sacs.  I saw no movement... no live bugs... but, I decided I just will NOT bring that thing in the house... just in case.  PARANOID.......
So I put it in a trash bag and it's back in the van.  There's a good chance there's no roaches in there but, I don't like to take such risks.
Now comes the trickiest part for me...  now what?  I need to contact them and tell them that I'm not working on it in my home.  Should I offer to do the work in their home?  My wife said it at least looked really clean...  But, hmmm... do I want to?  I just don't know what to say to them... 
I really wish those little critters didn't exist.  :/  humbug.
Last time I brought up the topic, someone said they just return them and say they wont work on them...  I did that once.  It's just so awkward.  I hate awkward. 
Perhaps I'll let my wife tell them... HA...  blah.

I really should have pressed the question and asked again if they had ANY roaches in their home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Oh yes! Know the feeling...

I work on microwave ovens, and they can be really attractive to cockroaches. There has been the occasional one that was so bad I've declined to work on it - they smell terrible and you just don't want to handle any of the internals with roach droppings all over them, and the critters coming out into the workshop.

Roach infestation voids warranty, and out of warranty, circuit boards that have been covered with residues from the critters living on them are unlikely to be reliable, and complete replacement might not be economic compared to the cost of a new MWO.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

In days past, I serviced a line of point of sale terminals for resturants and the horror stories I could tell.  Roaches, dead mice, maggots, you name it.  While working on some terminal or printer, they would offer food or drinks, and I just have to refuse. (GAG)  Mice would tear off the perforation/tractor feed on printers to make a nest, one in the power supply of an Epson FX-100 and set the office on fire.  Another crapped all over an IBM PCXT system board and corroded the traces right off the board.  Both were at a facility that made pesticides (go figure).  The cure for cockroaches is to get a couple geckos or chamelions, they love freshmeat.

#4 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

ok i'm so grossed out. i keep reading this topic with horror lol

at first when you mentioned "cleaning" i thought cleaning as in wiping off the fingerprints, and I kept innocently reading along and thought, "great, i need a good, safe way to clean my keyboard and laptop (not just blowing it with a can of compressed air) but really how to really clean it" ........then i got to the 'eggs' part....ewwwwwwwwwwwww

*sigh* I mean, now i keep thinking...ughhh, is it ok to type on my laptop? i can't stand the thought that there's anything in there. totally ewww

I do not have any bugs where I live. i've never seen any, and i never want to either. Dead or Alive.  

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

Stolen you need one of these. They are washable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Purple-Flexible-Foldable-Silicone-Roll-Up-2-4G-Wireless-Mini-Keyboard-N4U8/390630416262?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D6745180587410099743%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140106155344%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D290606495404&rt=nc

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

but i just can't stand the thought of not knowing..........

and I don't know what to do. Cuz i can't take this thing apart.  Or can I??????? hmmmmmm I gotta figure this out. 

#7 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

ok one more thing. I promise...(I think)...It's just that...how do they even fit in a laptop keyboard? i mean roaches and all are big bugs, right? I don't want to even hear if they are really tiny and all. I gotta leave this topic lol...

I will in just a minute after i look at what you sent, Nick :D

#8 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Nick, I actually really like that. Totally awesome. I am thinking about buying it, and I REALLY like new stuff, meaning NEW :)

I wonder if the keys are easy to type on. I wonder if it's washable. 

AND it's PURPLE

I'll letcha know...

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Hi Millipede, Yes, I read this topic and seen your reference to me. :thumbup2:

Thanks for sharing your story, I am sure many, many people relate to your story. 

The funny thing about household bugs is that they like warm places and refrigerators are number 1 on their list of appliances to make a home of. This includes rodents. 

Just be cautious when accepting packages shipped in the postal system. Some warehouses have roach issues, specially southern US or foreign country ones. Never know what is hidden in those corrugated cardboard boxes. 

As I suggested to you in the past, as funds permit, I suggest making a little back yard shed or purchase one already made by a small storage shed company.

With that comes that piece of mind of no bugs invading in your living quarters. When you see one, get out the bug spray and do this to it ->>>>> :flamethrower:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

Millipede....you actually really educated me about things, and yes, I totally relate. I just didn't know all that about bugs. I think I always thought they either live in walls or just go after food. Interesting stuff, and also interesting about the shipments. 

I don't know how you do it, but I totally admire you. I think you should continue to help people and keep it separate for sure.  

Oh, and Bruce made me laugh with the bug spray. gahhh. 

You guys rawk. 

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

Keeping food and liquid consumption confined to the dinner table can go a long ways in making the keyboard clean.  A quick and easy overlay can be made with some plastic wrap and a hair dryer to shink it around the keycaps.  This works as good as latex gloves and is cheap.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

Stolen, roaches may be big, but they are very thin.  They can get into the most impossible places.  Put borax around the seams of the house and along the back of the cupboards etc.  Borax will do the buggers in.  Borax also does a nice job on fleas also.  Sprinkle borax down all over the floor, brush it down into the roots of the carpet.  Leave it there at least 12 hours.  Sweep it up.  Take vacuum outside, change sweeper bag.  Reapply borax and repeat.  Do this about 3 times.  That way you'll get the buggers that haven't hatched yet.  I've done this in 3 apartments I rented that turned out to be flea infested.  Flea bombs don't work - -they and roach poison simply kill the aquarium fish.  Borax does work. And once you've done it, it's done.  Unless you have flea infested pets.

As for the borax and roaches.  If the borax gets wet, remove and reapply.  It won't work if it's wet.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

While living in Hawaii during the early 80's, Johnson sold a pesticide that was in a brown bottle with a squirt  top.  You applied it to all window sills and doorway treadplates.  The bugs get it on their feet and take it to the nest and all die.  I know it wasn't available in the other 48 states.  The Borax powder is sometimes marketed as Roach Powder.  The severe approach was to buy the cheapest, used vacuum cleaner, apply insecticide into the noozle and go to town on refrigerators, freezers and behind walls.  When done just toss the whole works.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

People laugh at me because I spray under and around my pc with crawly cruncher, I also spray the outside of the case. This stuff works. I also do the house with it usually takes 4 bottles every 6 months.

http://www.gettrapped.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=58

I am 6 foot tall 76 kg, Yet scream like a girl when I see a bug in my house.

Edited by NickAu1, 08 May 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

I've seen infestations of most every kind of rodent and insect.  There is even a cockroach species that loves the plastic insulation on electric/electronic wiring.  Once things are clean, vigilance is the only insurance against reinfestation.  All bugs and rodents love a warm spot, TV's,and computers being a nice home are a prime target.  Ants are a special case and are drawn to any sweet substance.  Vinegar is a good way to eliminate them and their tracks so others won't return.  Access to bakers supplies to get 200 grain (pure) vinegar will even eliminate an entire nest but doesn't work too well with commerically available vinegar as it's only 20 grain or 10%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users