Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with connecting to external screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 holliec87

holliec87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

My brother broke his screen on his touchscreen hp laptop(windows 8) and couldn't find the receipt or warranty info. So my mom went out and bought him a new acer. The laptop sat in his closet for awhile until i got him to let me have it. I figured i could hook it up to a monitor for my kids so they could stay off of my laptop. Had to order an adapter because the monitor had only vga while the laptop had only hdmi. After hooking it up with the adapter it worked fine. But he had so much crap on the laptop that it was not running great and had pop ups constantly. So my bf decided to do a system recovery. Since then it is not connecting to the monitor and we can not see anything on the broken screen to know what to do. Really wishing we would have thought about that possibility before doing the system recovery :/ Please somebody help. I am not very knowledgeable with computers aside from the basics so if you guys can explain it in a way that i can understand that would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

Hey, holliec87

I feel that you may need to update your drivers.

Can you do the following for me so i can find you the right drivers.

• Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.
  • When Speccy opens you will see the Speccy Screen
  • Click on File in the top left hand corner, and then click on Publish Snapshot.
  • A screen will pop up, please click Yes.
  • A second screen will pop up, please click Copy to Clipboard.
  • In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Thank you,

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

They can't boot into Windows and view it, so they will not be able to do that.

It seems that there is a problem here at Bleeping Computer.  What I posted requesting the make and model of the lap top was posted in a proceeding post.

@Holliec87

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Edited by dc3, 07 May 2014 - 12:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

Yeah my bad.

I was too going down the route of make and model. I'll leave this to you. :)

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 holliec87

holliec87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

It seems that there is a problem here at Bleeping Computer.  What I posted requesting the make and model of the lap top was posted in a proceeding post.

@Holliec87

What is the make and model of this laptop?

hp pavilion touchsmart

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Touchsmart is not the model, it is a series of laptops.

The following is sample of a few of the Touchsmart models.

TouchSmart 10z-e000 
TouchSmart 11 
TouchSmart 15-n070sa
TouchSmart 14-b109wm
TouchSmart 15 n225nr
TouchSmart 23-F217C

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 holliec87

holliec87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Touchsmart is not the model, it is a series of laptops.

The following is sample of a few of the Touchsmart models.

TouchSmart 10z-e000 
TouchSmart 11 
TouchSmart 15-n070sa
TouchSmart 14-b109wm
TouchSmart 15 n225nr
TouchSmart 23-F217C

lol. Sorry. Told you guys i'm not very computer literate. It's touchsmart 14-b109wm.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

There is a FN key which used in combination of another key switches between the display screen and an external monitor.  Unfortunately I was unable to find any information on this.  I would suggest calling HP and ask them for this information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users