Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PNY 8GB Flash file recognition/transfer issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Manray57

Manray57

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

System: ASUS X551MA laptop 64 bit Windows 8.1 updated from Windows 8.0

PNY 8GB FLash Drive that came in bundle with notebook

Issue: When I first used the flashdrive to transfer files from my XP Desktop some of the files were not on the drive when plugged into laptop.

I copied my entire "MY PICTURES" folder. That folder contained 20 sub folders and about a dozen loose JPEGs totaling 2.5 GB.

I also added 3 JPEGS from other locations on the XP. Finally, I copied over a game application from the PROGRAM FILE Directory.

The game file and the 3 misc JPEGS showed up and transferred OK but the MY PICs folder was not visible from the notebook

I recopied the MY Pics folder onto the flash and checked to make sure it was there, which it was(on the XP) but when I plugged into notebook, it said the drive was empty.

I copied same files onto a CD and they all transferred fine.

I checked Device Manager and it said device was working properly and ran troubleshooter anyway. Checked OK.

I checked for driver update but there was none available

I formatted the drive on the notebook and tried just copying a single picture from XP and it does not transfer.

I copied a JPEG from the notebook and it transferred OK to the XP.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Manray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hi,

Is it possible that the USB port on the laptop is USB 3.x and the files were placed on the drive while It was connected to a USB 2.x port on the XP machine?

Wild card;

flush and format the USB drive while it's connected to the laptop. Create some folders for content. Move it to the XP machine and see if everything is visible. If so then loading files into the existing folders may allow the transfer to happen.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Manray57

Manray57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I think my USB3.0 is suppose to be backwards compatible BUT I did give it a try.

1) I formatted the drive on the laptop

2) created a 'TRANSFER" folder

3) copied a JPEG that was transferred from the XP via CD onto the flash but not in folder

4) copied a JPEG that originated from the laptop onto the flash but not in folder

ALL were visible on the XP

I then;

1)copied the JPEGs to the XP

2) Deleted them from the flash

3) Viewed them on the XP

4) Copied them both back onto the flash

5) Copied other JPEGs into the transfer folder

6) Viewed all on the XP

When I brought back to the laptop, the 2 JPEGS were visible and the TRANSFER folder was empty.

Went back to XP and tried a single JPEG onto the flash but not in folder

That JPEG was not visible on the laptop

NOW for the interesting part and maybe the key-

I clicked on properties for the TRANSFER files and it says it contains 259 files, 3 folders for a total of 1.06 GB which would be correct!

Yet when I click on the folder it says it is empty, and the icon shows an empty folder.

The attributes for the folder is marked read only, I changed to ARCHIVE, no difference, I removed READ ONLY, no difference.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Looks to me like the USB 3.x / USB 2.x incompatibility is the root of the problem. If the files are coming across via CD / DVD then that may be the only route this time around.

Sorry I haven't got a better solution.

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users