Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe spirals to higher and higher CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 homedoc

homedoc

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi there,

Hope you guys can help with this. Win 7 Ultimate x64. After booting up and working for a while, the keyboard response will slow down (i.e. you type characters and they don't show up on the screen for up to 30 seconds). Same issue with mouse. So I started monitoring the system and discovered that this happens when explorer.exe uses a lot of CPU resources.

On boot-up, explorer.exe is using about 0.5% of CPU. But as time goes on and I keep working, it starts to use more and more CPU. Eventually, it can get up to 35-40%. When it gets high, that is when the keyboard/mouse response slows down. So I tried this: I opened a Notepad window while monitoring explorer.exe CPU usage. Then I started typing random characters very fast. When I do this, explorer CPU usage drops to less than 1% and the keyboard response returns to normal. However, when I stop typing, the explorer.exe CPU usage immediately starts to go up again. Eventually, it becomes unmaneagable, and I have to reboot. I tried ending and restarting explorer.exe but it made no difference.

It would appear that explorer.exe is running some kind of background task which is consuming much more resources than it should.

You Bleeper guys have any good ideas?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2014 - 04:27 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

You could try a claen boot to isolate the problem,have you run the disk checker,sometimes fixes this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2641432/en-gb

Clean boot instructions

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#3 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

Hello! Would just like to add. How to use clean boot to trouble shoot!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thanks donetao i meant to add that.:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users