Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 BSOD after updating Piriforms Recuva and rebooting as instructed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CBR954RR

CBR954RR

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Machine specs: Lenovo SL500 laptop with T9800 2.93GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 320GB hard drive with factory restore partition, Windows XP Pro partition (with Ubuntu 13.04 also installed within a folder on this partition) and Windows 7 Pro partiton which is default boot partiton.

So, here is what has led to my issue but I don't know if it is really related. I had just updated my Piriform Recuva from version 1.4x to the newest version which is 1.51. When the install was finished, it said a reboot was required so I rebooted. Prior to this, the machine has been running fine.

Upon reboot, the machine got as far as the colored swirling patterns that form the Windows 7 logo. The swirling pattern stops and then the BSOD flashes very briefly and the machine reboots. I was able to get a picture of the screen and the following is displayed at the bottom:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001750659, 0xFFFFF880009A8F28, 0xFFFFF880009A8780)
cng.sys - Address FFFFF88001750659 base at FFFFF880001745000, DateStamp 50194fb7

I have tried booting in Safe Mode which also produces the BSOD. I have tried to do Startup Repair but it informs me that a device or something is inaccessible.

Last Known Good Configuration will not boot either. Produces same BSOD. I tried the option to not have the machine restart after error and that BSOD screen had IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with STOP 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80003A95DA2)

Here is where things get weird. I tried booting into Ubuntu and that boots up fine and it is what I am using right now to type this on the machine that wont boot the Windows 7 partition (yet I can see all the files on the Windows 7 partition from UBUNTU).

Gets weirder. I figured I would clone my issue drive to another drive and use the clone for trying to get things fixed before I mess up the original. Since the spare drive I was going to use has a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on it, I installed that drive to see if there are any files I might have wanted to take off the drive before I wiped the drive.

This drive, which has booted just fine every time I have put it in the laptop, freezes shortly into booting at the logo screen. So, this Windows install seems to have issues mimicing my normal Windows 7 (most likely just coincidence). After playing with this for a bit, I got a few different BSOD screens, such as KMODE_EXECUTION_NOT_HANDLED ks.sys, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXECUTION_NOT_HANDLED, and ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NONEXECUTE_MEMORY rdbss.sys.

So, I tried booting with just one DIMM to see if it was memory related but no matter which DIMM was used in either slot, keep getting BSOD. I even went so far as to replace the 2 DIMMS with 2 other DIMMS but still get BSOD, yet UBUNTU is able to boot just fine and displays correct CPU and RAM in machine.

Since my Windows 8 drive was just a test, I decided to attempt to clone the Windows 7 drive and work on the clone but I am running into some snags. I have a cheap duplicator made by Cavalry Storage and although it cloned the drive, it did not correctly clone the Windows 7 partition. The partition shows up as having no files.

So, I then attempted to clone through software using HDCLone, but for some reason, HDCLone wont see my Seagate 320GB SATA drive unless I change my BIOS settings for SATA to Compatibilty mode instead of AHCI mode. This produces copy speeds that are way to slow. It would take a day to copy the drive (I did try anyway and it appeared as though it was failing to write to the destination drive according to what was displayed on the screen).

So, I then created a bootable USB drive using Macrium Reflect and booted from this and attempted to clone my drive but this gives an error before starting the clone process stating something about not being able to do something with one of the partitions on the destination drive.  I even told it to delete all partitions on the destination drive before starting the clone and still receive same message.

By the way, I am trying to clone to an SSD drive if that makes a difference.

I don't know much about the bootrec, bootsect and bcdedit commands but was wondering if somehow they might help get me back up and running.  Plus, since I have multiple partitions, I don't know how this might affect the XP partition if I start messing with these commands.

I really would like to clone my drive first and work with the clone just in case any of the attempts to repair it actually make it harder to recover or fix the drive.  I figure once the clone is up and running correctly, I can reproduce the same steps to fix the actual drive that failed.

So, at this point I am at a loss as to what might be going on or what I can try to get my Windows 7 to boot properly again.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

How old is the laptop? Could the CMOS battery have died which might get you in the fix you're seeing.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hello! I don't have all the answers.

By the way, I am trying to clone to an SSD drive if that makes a difference.

If your trying to clone a larger HD to a smaller SSD, it's not that easy. When cloning a HD, it has been my experiece that the new HD has to be equal or larger in size. I'm sure there is a way, but you will have to Google to see how. It's to hard for me. I don't make clones. I just creat a back up image of my HD with Macrium Reflect. You can use the image to restore on a brand new HD or the working HD. Very easy to use and works flawlessly.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

I can answer most questions about Macrium Reflect if you have some.

#4 CBR954RR

CBR954RR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Dicke,

Thanks for chiming in. The laptop is about 5 years old and although the battery is a good thought, I don't think that is the problem because none of the settings have changed. They are still as I have set them.

I took my drive that had the Windows 8 installed on it and wiped it clean and then reinstalled Windows 8 and it boots up and seems to run fine so I am fairly confident that the CMOS battery is still functioning correctly.

If I could just get my Windows 7 drive cloned, I can start experimenting to try and fix the issues. If successful, I can use the procedure to fix my Windows 7 drive. I am trying to minimize any changes to the Windows 7 drive until I know I have a solution to its problem. I would hate to try fixing the Windows 7 drive only to ruin it more and not be able to get it back up and running without a reinstall.

Dan

#5 CBR954RR

CBR954RR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Donetao,

Thanks for your thoughts. My Windows 7 drive is 320gb and my SSD is 512gb so I should be fine in that respect but for some reason I can't seem to get it cloned so I can work with the copy instead of the original.

I appreciate knowing your knowledge of Macrium Reflect. If I have questions about using the software I will definitely shoot you a question or two.

Dan

#6 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

I am trying to minimize any changes to the Windows 7 drive until I know I have a solution to its problem

You need a drive the same size or larger to clone the Drive. If you create a image of the HD with Macrium Reflect, you will be able to restore it on a drive the same size or larger. Even a brand new HD. Or on the same drive. Hope this is making sense.. It would seem to me that the SSD is the problem then, and I don't have a answer. I guess you could buy different HD. If you have a image of your HD, you can always restore your OS with it. That's the approuch I would take.

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50079.aspx

Edited by donetao, 05 May 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Please read the difference between a clone and a back up image!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

They basically serve the same purpose to get you back to where you were. :smash:

Hello Louie! If you are reading this thread, please comment. I'm always learning!

Edited by donetao, 05 May 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

I tend to not comment when other members seem to be heading in the same direction that I would :).  I certainly have no special expertise of any sort and my "knowledge" as such consists mainly of what I have learned over the years...by reading comments made by others, combined with a small amount of personal experience.  I am no "tech" or other IT person and try not to pretend to be such :).

The forums are not just for Mods and Advisors to assist...members help each other and the combined knowledge/experience of the membership...certainy outweighs my own :).

Louis

#9 CBR954RR

CBR954RR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Donetao / Hamluis,

Thanks for your continuing support.  I apologize for not replying the past week or so.  I had ordered a new hard drive for cloning purposes and since it was taking a while to get here, I decided to try cloning to my SSD again.  This time it seemed to work.

So, here is what I have attempted on the cloned copy so far with no luck.

Booted from Windows 7 DVD and ran the Startup Repair - results below.

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Problem Details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:   StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature01:    6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02:   6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03:   unknown

Problem Signature 04:   1648

Problem Signature 05:   ExternalMedia

Problem Signature 06:   1

Problem Signature 07:   NoRootCause

OS Version:                        6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:                               1033

Diagnosis and repair details:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log

-------------------------------

Last successful boot time:  4/25/2014 3:45:12 PM (GMT)

Number of repair attempts:  1

Session details

System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0

Windows directory = D:\Wndows

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:

Name: Check for updates

Results: Completed successfully.  Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: System disk test

Results: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Disk failure diagnosis

Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Disk metadata test

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Target OS test

Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Volume content check

Time taken = 110 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Boot manager diagnosis

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: System boot log diagnosis

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Event log diagnosis

Time taken = 156 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Internal state check

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Boot status test

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Setup state check

Time taken = 405 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Registry hives test

Time taken = 1888 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Windows boot log diagnosis

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Bugcheck analysis

Time taken = 749 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Access control test

Time taken = 9656 ms

Test Performed:

Name: File system test (chkdsk)

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Software installation log diagnosis

Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Fallback diagnosis

Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:

Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time taken = 410455 ms

So, I then tried running CHKDSK /F and here are the results; 

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)…

379904 file records processed.

File verification completed.

1047 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

2 EA records processed.

74 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)…

468366 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)…

379904 files SDs/SIDs processed.

Security descriptor verification completed.

44232 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal…

37524808 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

201053474    KB   total disk space.

136151700    KB   in 239216 files.

131956    KB   in 44233 indexes.

0    KB   in bad sectors.

493378    KB   in use by the system.

65536    KB   occupied by the log file.

64276440    KB   available on disk.

4096    bytes in each allocation unit.

5026336    total allocation units on disk.

1606911    allocation units available on disk.

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

So, I then tried running sfc using the following command -

Sfc /verifyonly /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Results:

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

When the BSOD shows up it is displaying the following info:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80003AB0DA2)

When booting from the Windows 7 DVD, I also tried to do a System Restore but it told me there was no restore points.  I find this odd because I know there was at least 7-10 restore points prior to my BSOD problem.

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Dan

#10 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hello Dan! I think you are above my pay grade on this! I Goggled the stop error and came up with this, which I'm sure you already did that!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

PS I have read that it some times takes several attempts to run the start up repair. I have read as many as 3 to fix the issue.

I don't know that for sure, just read it on a help forum.

Hello! At the bottom of this link, it says the start up repair may have to be run three times???

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

Sometimes it may take running a startup repair (3) separate times with restarting the computer after each time before it fully fixes the startup issue.

Edited by donetao, 17 May 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#11 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hello Dan! It really surprises me that BC members don't suggest using the system repair disc like you are using. I have several, but I have never had the need to use one yet. It's a great tool and would be the tool I would try if I was having major problems. Here's a little tidbit.

In short, the System Recovery discs return your PC to the state it was when first purchased, scrapping all your data while along the way. The System Repair disc, by contrast, offers tools to help bring your ailing PC back to life, keeping all your valuable files safe.

When in trouble, always try your System Repair disc first, as it may solve your problem. Only use the System Recovery Discs as a last resort, as they wipe out everything you’ve created since buying your PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users