Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on MB/Processor combo for home computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xabier

Xabier

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

Today I'm back to designing another new build project and need some advice from experienced hands.  This is for a lady friend who will use it pretty much for regular home uses.  Internet browsing, letter writing, home accounting, very minor photo editing but lots of photo storage, limited Skyping.  Would like to keep it around or below $500, but can exceed it if necessary.  The main requirements are that it be fast, have good connectability and be upgradeable.

Right now I'm looking at an Asus A88X-Pro mother board and AMD A10-6800K processor.  I know that may be overkill and it certainly pushes the price target, but it seems to meet the requirements.  Especially speed.  One question is rather that combination will provide on board video and not require an additional video card.  At this point I believe it will. 

I would appreciate any critique of the selection or suggestions of alternatives at a lower price while maintaining the requirements.  

Thanks in advance for any comments

Tom

Edited by Xabier, 05 May 2014 - 02:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Personal opinion is when you are looking to go budget you can get more if you go with a refurbished manufactured machine.  This is mainly if the machine is going to be a Windows machine, as the operating system will be 20% of your budget.

Are you talking $500 for the whole machine, case, RAM, hard drive, OS, etc?

#3 Xabier

Xabier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

Are you talking $500 for the whole machine, case, RAM, hard drive, OS, etc?

Yes, that would be correct.  We'll exceed that price if necessary, but was just wondering if there was a MB/CPU combination that would do the same thing for less money.  With this setup we'll be going over the target amount, but will likey use it if necessary to get the results.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

This looks pretty decent!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3754738&Sku=J001-13000

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Xabier

Xabier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

That Dell unit does look pretty good for the price alright.  I'll investigate it further.  Would be a much simpler solution.

Thanks to both of you for the comments.  Really appreciated.

Tom

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

That Dell PC is very old, which explains the price point.  If you can afford it, stick with a newer platform.  Doing so, I doubt you'll be under $500 if you DIY, but you will get much more for your dollar.  Here's an idea and some suggestions.

Case:  SilverStone Sugo Series SG02B-F-USB3.0 - This is a small case perfect for media center builds or people without much desk space.  I've used this case in a previous budget build and was quite happy with the results.  $79

Motherboard:  ASUS A55M-E FM2 AMD A55 - A basic motherboard for FM2 processors, you probably don't need more than this for basic home office tasks.  $54

RAM:  Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - 8GB of RAM should be more than enough for what you are using.  If you are really strapped for cash, you can get just 4GB.  $64

ODD:  LG Internal Super Multi Drive SATA Model GH24NSB0 - You probably don't need a Blu-Ray drive for this PC, so a basic DVD drive is all you need.  $19

PSU:  CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W - This should be more than enough for this PC.  This power supply is not modular making cable management in such a small case a bit of a pain.  If you are interested in a modular supply, the CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W would be a good, but more expensive, alternative.  $44

HDD:  Western Digital WD AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB - Should be more than enough space.  If you want a faster boot drive or don't use lots of software, I suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR 120GB, or, if you want more space, the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR 240GB is good too.  $69

APU:  AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9GHz - This is a good APU and is about $5 more than the nearest Trinity-based APU.  If you want the best APU you can get, for $30 more, you can get the AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz.  $105

Grand Total:  $540

3939.png

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Agree with DJB about price...refurb systems are living in the past and, although they are useable...they have seen their better days whether they have a 90-day warranty or not.

Newer components will give you the best technology for the buck and afford you repair/upgrade options that will be more limited if you attempt to replace components from systems introduced 5 years or more ago.  And...you will have real warranties on your components that will be honored far longer than any "warranty" on a refurb or used system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users