Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question ( Maybe Stupid)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chatter

chatter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:10 PM

OK, I have a question, it maybe stupid, but here goes, I currently have a 4 port router, can i attach an 8 port hub(switch) to the uplink port on the router to add aditional Pc's to the network?

Edited by chatter, 22 May 2006 - 12:11 PM.

[size=4][/color][color=#993399][font=Book Antiqua] Love is connection of body, mind and soul, with all three joined in unison and perfect harmony !!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:40 AM

Yes, that will work. I personal have a used 3Com 24 port hub added to my Linksys NR041 router. Works very nicely. Look on eBay for used commercial hubs or switches. They are cheap and you can get more bang fot the buck.

http://members.cox.net/acklan/BC/routerhubmodem.jpg

Modem=black box in middle of screen
Router=small blue box to left
Hub=Large white box at bottom with all the wires
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

Well just for anyone elses information looking at this post the grey box on the far right is a 3-port print server.

Just thought I would mention it.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

lol, all that good gear, and a $5 power bar. shame shame acklan!! lol
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

I have a product at the meter call "Strike Safe". It is a surge protector that protects from the meter in. It is install between the meter and weather head. The power company provides it for $7\mo. It has been struck 4 times in 3 years. They replace it 3 times already. Worth every penny. The only way to go.

#6 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

ok i have linksys nr041 as my router, and we have an 8 port d-link hub(switch) here already, but wanted to make sure I could use them together before i went and installed it!! thanks a bunch!!!
[size=4][/color][color=#993399][font=Book Antiqua] Love is connection of body, mind and soul, with all three joined in unison and perfect harmony !!!!!

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yep! That is the little blue box in the upper left corner of the picture. Just make sure the MDI/MDI-x button on the front is engaged (MDI-x enabled) and the #1 port on the router is plugged into the port labeled "uplink" on the hub\switch. It is usually the last port on the hub\switch. In your case port #8.

http://members.cox.net/acklan/BC/routerhubmodem.jpg

Klinkaroo That is a 3 port HP EX Plus3 print server. I have a Laser, inkjet, and a Dot matrix printer hooked up to it. By the way having that dot matrix printer with 5000 labels continuous feed is very handy.

Edited by acklan, 24 May 2006 - 08:03 PM.

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

acklan>neato. what are the thresholds, do ya know? joule rating and such.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

http://www.strikesafe.com/

#10 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

NO CLUE lol, how do i check that???

#11 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

the hub i have is a d-link model DSH-8II version B2, do i need drivers in order to use this??? if so where can i get them?? D-link site doesnt support this product anymore becuase its older

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

No. Basic hubs are passive, and do not require drivers. On the NR041 the MDI\MDIx switch should be located on the rear next to the #1 ethernet port. The MDI switch should be in the depressed position.

http://www.computers-networks-routers.com/...nk_dsh8_hub.htm

#13 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

Ahhh Ok, thank you all so very much, that (unfortunately) have dropped down list of priorities today, this comp ( running win ME) has been blue screening me to hell and back this week, so in process now of transferring files to fiancees computer so i can f-disk, format and reload windows, BUT will be reloading 98SE..... have a great day and thanks again for the help!!

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

If you get the chance consider moving up to Windows 2000 Pro. It's all that and a bag of chips.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users