Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Me

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chatter

chatter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi ther I am having an issure with enabling my system restore, i was given this PC from mom a couple years ago and never had the need to do a system restore, then this past weekend, by step son messed with router settings and crashed the network ( 5 Pc's 3 running win 98se, 1 running ME, and 1 running XP on the network) I went to try and restore the system and it said it was disabled, I tried to enable it and still nothing, no system checkpoints or anything....... Short of f-disk and format, any suggestions?
[size=4][/color][color=#993399][font=Book Antiqua] Love is connection of body, mind and soul, with all three joined in unison and perfect harmony !!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hi Chatter and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
Have you tried this? There's a guide on how to disable and enable System Restore for ME.
Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

Yes i have done that several times over that past 18 hours or so, lol MULTIPLE restarts, just trying to get the netowkr back up, hate having to reinstall everything....... even went into system configuration to see if i had disabled some things needed for the system restore, which none were.......according to all the things that I have checked system restore should be working... BUT its not :thumbsup:
[size=4][/color][color=#993399][font=Book Antiqua] Love is connection of body, mind and soul, with all three joined in unison and perfect harmony !!!!!

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:01 AM

I had a friend who had a similar problem and was only able to enable SR by doing so in Safe Mode. It's worth a try anyway.

Use that same process but in Safe Mode - restart your computer (for the millionth time by now, huh? lol) and once the screen goes black, press and hold the F8 key on your keyboard. You'll want to select the option that says "Safe Mode". If this is new to you, don't be worried. All of your icons and buttons on your desktop will appear larger so don't be alarmed. Go through the instructions as you've already tried before. Then reboot again so that's it back to normal mode. Hope that works.

Incidentally, for System Restore to enable, you must have proficient space on your drive to allow for it. Please do this:

Left click on My Computer. Simply touch the Local Drive C: (or whichever your main hard drive is) and look at the pie graph shown. What numbers are given for Capacity, Used, and Free?

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

Restore Points Are Not Saved in System Restore

Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition

#6 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:07 AM

local drive C: Used 5.79 GB, Free :31.4 GB available resources shouldnt be a problem, will try to enable in safe mode, in a few minutes as soon as I get done with emails and all, will keep you posted, I never thougt of trying to enable SR in safe....

#7 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:50 AM

Tried to enable SR in safe, still nothing..... in process of transferring files to fiancees computer so i can f-disk, format and reload, but I will be reloading 98se...... thanks all who tried to help with this issue!!!!!

#8 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:45 AM

If that system is too old or too slow, etc. to run XP....then going back to 98/SE would be a worthwhile move.

If ME's restore feature was shut off and the folder deleted, turning it back on isn't going to help you to do a restore anyway, because the files you would need Don't Exist.

Good luck with your return to 98.

Happy Computing,
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#9 chatter

chatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

sorry its taken me so long to reply to all your posts, I was having network and mouse troubles ( wireless mouse) so now back to wired.... and win 98se loaded and fuilly functional!!! Thanks again for all your help

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

FYI: I have 13 computers for the kids and there friends. I install Windows 2000 Professional on 10 of them. They had ME and 98se. Best move I made. All of my computer are P-III with 512Mb or 768Mb of RAM. I like to think of it as XP Lite with a Windows 98 interface. Learning curve is very low. I actually had 2 computers running XP and fresh installed W2k, which increased preformance. I have ran W2k on a P-II 333mhz with 256Mb. It ran fine.
I just thought you would be interested.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users