Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

InsydeH20 Any help is appreciated

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Digitalx2

Digitalx2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

first of all thanks for taking your time to read this. :) and sorry for my grammar/english as this is my second language ,(sorry if images are too big didn't see the spoiler button

now this is hard to explain, but i guess I'll have to write my story... so I was trying to install "Chromium OS" on my mom's laptop (booting the OS from an USB), but I coulnd't so i decided to give it atry on my laptop (since it runs from the USB) so I changed the boot priority order using the InsydeH20 utility tool... aka my BIOS, and when  I tried to install the OS i got a blackscreen.. I left my lptop there for like 1 hour too see if it was normal or something.. but nothing happened. so I held the power button to turn it off, when I turned on my pc without the usb plugged I got an error (check the image)

e3a48a19_l.jpeg

So I plugged my usb back in, got a black screen since it was booting from USB, decided to check the BIOS again, and my surprise this time was that the USB got installed onto my BIOS(wtf) i mean I get it sorts of installs when u running a OS from a USB.. but I don't really know 75800c15_l.jpeg

1st thing I tried was to change the boot priority order so it would boot from my hardrive... and nothing happened.

And this is the problem, I can't change the settings or reset  them or nothing, no matter how many times I try nothing changes, I even removed the BIOS battery and nothing happened._ . so I guess somehow its installed deeply in the BIOS

my question is: Is there a way to "flash" or reinstall this utility,? anothe rproblem is taht i disabled the wifi anthena, cuz i often use an USB anthena with a hier signal quality, so for somereason i cant activate my wifi again... i was told to reset my bios and that would solve it but as u can see I cant.. I was perfectly fine with theis until the wifi thingy happened as I just need to plug my USb and Windows would start, and since Windows 8 comes with fastboot i never needed to plug my USB unless i wanted to use the BIOS

Please Help Me.

I saw alot of laptops use this "Insyde20H" so Idk if its the same for every laptop, and if that's the case is there a way to reinstall it? I hope that reinstalling it will remove the USB from the priority order...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Hello, and Welcome

With the Kingston USB flash drive attached, boot into BIOS. Hightlight the Kingston USB with the arrow keys. Does the Kingston Drive move down the list when you press F5? If so, move it to the next to last item and then press F10 to save and exit. Remove the flash drive and enter the BIOS again. Is the Kingston USB HDD still listed in the BIOS boot menu?

#3 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hello, and Welcome

With the Kingston USB flash drive attached, boot into BIOS. Hightlight the Kingston USB with the arrow keys. Does the Kingston Drive move down the list when you press F5? If so, move it to the next to last item and then press F10 to save and exit. Remove the flash drive and enter the BIOS again. Is the Kingston USB HDD still listed in the BIOS boot menu?

i can move it around, but i cant save the changes, I mean I do save them, but when i exit and go into the BIOS again it's like nothing happened, I can even set BIOS password w.o. looking at my keyboard, I type a random password and save changes and exit the bios, it's like nothing happened ._ .

//

Just installed ubuntu I can use my laptop's wifi anthena there but it's still disabled on windows ... ;_;

Edited by Digitalx2, 05 May 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Unplug the power adapter if attached. Remove the BIOS battery and also the main battery. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the BIOS battery but leave the main battery out. Attach your power adapter, boot the computer and enter BIOS. Can you now save your settings?

#5 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Unplug the power adapter if attached. Remove the BIOS battery and also the main battery. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the BIOS battery but leave the main battery out. Attach your power adapter, boot the computer and enter BIOS. Can you now save your settings?

UMM well I removed the battery b4 but didnt hold the power button... let me try again.. 

#6 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

well I did as you said, and same story, I think it's flashed in the BIOS, that's y i was asking if i can reinstall it ._ .

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Before flashing the BIOS, which could possibly brick the computer, I suggest a new BIOS battery. After everything we did trying to clear the BIOS, not being able to save your setting may indicate a need for new battery. I would try that before trying to flash the BIOS. It's possible but there is a certain procedure required for the Insyde BIOS.

#8 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

Before flashing the BIOS, which could possibly brick the computer, I suggest a new BIOS battery. After everything we did trying to clear the BIOS, not being able to save your setting may indicate a need for new battery. I would try that before trying to flash the BIOS. It's possible but there is a certain procedure required for the Insyde BIOS.

It's not the battery, already tried, I happen to have new batteries (I use them for old GameBoyColor Games, It's not that, It's mor elike the BIOS is freezzed or something

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

So when the Kingston Flash Drive is removed from the computer, you go into BIOS and it still is listed in the Boot Menu? What is the make and model of the computer?

Edit: I am not sure if it is possible to update this BIOS. From what I have read the InsydeH2O can only be updated through Windows but I can't be sure until you give the make and model of the computer. It depends on the age of the computer. Is this an EFI BIOS?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 May 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#10 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

So when the Kingston Flash Drive is removed from the computer, you go into BIOS and it still is listed in the Boot Menu? What is the make and model of the computer?

Edit: I am not sure if it is possible to update this BIOS. From what I have read the InsydeH2O can only be updated through Windows but I can't be sure until you give the make and model of the computer. It depends on the age of the computer. Is this an EFI BIOS

It's not an EFI BIOS and I can launch windows/ubuntu with no problems i just need to plug the USB, and yesh the  USB is still listed in the BIOS.

The model is Gateway NV52L03

Edited by Digitalx2, 06 May 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

So if you can launch Windows (not a install disk), you should be able to flash the BIOS if there is newer version than what is on the computer.  The BIOS version on Gateway's site is

BIOS Gateway BIOS 1.07 5.0 MB 2012/11/05

Go to Gateways support site and download the BIOS according to your NV series Model 52L

When flashing the BIOS is Windows, I would turn off UAC and place the folder that was extracted on the root of C: before you run it. Make sure the Battery is fully charged and the power adapter plugged in. In the extracted zip file is a readme.txt and Q5Wx8107.exe

Just a word a caution. A bad flash can brick the computer. After the flash go into BIOS and reset it to default settings. Then reboot.

#12 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

So if you can launch Windows (not a install disk), you should be able to flash the BIOS if there is newer version than what is on the computer.  The BIOS version on Gateway's site is

BIOS Gateway BIOS 1.07 5.0 MB 2012/11/05

Go to Gateways support site and download the BIOS according to your NV series Model 52L

When flashing the BIOS is Windows, I would turn off UAC and place the folder that was extracted on the root of C: before you run it. Make sure the Battery is fully charged and the power adapter plugged in. In the extracted zip file is a readme.txt and Q5Wx8107.exe

Just a word a caution. A bad flash can brick the computer. After the flash go into BIOS and reset it to default settings. Then reboot.

Wish me luck hope i dont brick my laptop...

Edit:

It worked, this is all I needed I tried searching for the BIOS update but couldn't find, since theres like a gateway website for every region ._ . but yeah, idk how the USB got flashed into the BIOS but its over, Thanks for your help.

Edited by Digitalx2, 06 May 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Glad it worked out. But yea, that was total weirdness with the USB flash drive and the BIOS not saving. Never saw that before.

#14 Digitalx2

Digitalx2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Glad it worked out. But yea, that was total weirdness with the USB flash drive and the BIOS not saving. Never saw that before.

me neither, I used that Win32disk Imager, no blaming the tool i think it was the Chromium OS, but yeah it was really weird, like the BIOS had DeepFreeze installed or something lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users