Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPhone 4S - Annoying update alert from Avast

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waqnis

waqnis

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Due to withdrawal of support for Microsoft Security for XP, I downloaded and installed Avast.

Originally, the full program on 20-day trial.  There was an annoying toolbar ad for Grime Remover.

Reported to Avast. No response received within the trial period. Then the "free" version became effective.

The desktop is not used much for the Internet.  But an alert notice (recorded voice) began to arrive in my iPhone between midnight and 4:00 AM.  I keep the iPhone on for emergencies.  Never registered it with Avast.

However, I use Google Chrome in the iPhone.  Apparently, during download/installation of Avast I failed to check off the box about Chrome. Chrome is the browser for the desktop with XP..

What options do I have?

1) Would uninstalling and reinstalling Avast and unchecking the box about Google Chrome resolve the problem or would it resurface?

2) Is there another free anti-virus program that would do the job

3) If not, should I consider removing Chrome and use Safari in the iPhone

I need the iPhone on during night but do not want to be awakened by Avast update message.

Kindly assist.

Thank you..  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

What do you mean that you get an alert? Is this purely a notification alert sound from the phone (and depending on your settings, there may be an associated notification on the lock screen)? Or is it a voice mail message? Or something else?

And what makes you think it is related to Avast?

FWIW, I have have used Avast for years, both the paid and free version. I have never gotten any thing like what you describe.

#3 waqnis

waqnis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Kindly read my first message.  I described the bothersome calls -- recorded voice message -- like robo calls..  

They arrive between midnight and early morning hours:

Why do I think this issue is related to Avast.  Well, the message states:  Avast Database has been updated.

Before registering for Avast I never received such calls.  

Researching the Internet, I found items that indicate that it could be related to Google Chrome -- see below.  I have Chrome in the iPhone.

I do not understand how it works but there is a connection between Avast and Chrome (which I unknowingly permitted).

Found following in another forum: 

• "I am running Win 7 so this may or may not apply to other OS's, but I suspect it will work at least for Windows users.
  • The cause is a file named Offers.ini located in Program Files/AVAST Software/Avast Setup/.  Yeah, it i's not easy to find.  If you look inside (it's a text file and Notepad opens it nicely) you can see a whole list of potential offers with variables that indicate whether or not you were silly enough to say "yes".  Unfortunately I could not edit or rename it, even when I logged in as Administrator. Not sure how Avast managed that little trick.
  • However, despair no!  I found a workaround.  I found that Avast! icon in my "Show hidden icons"" box, right clicked on it and selected Update> and selected Program.  Avast! then updated the program and asked to reboot the computer.  I allowed it to do so and on rebooting, Avast brought up a box which said "Almost finished" and that box had a checked box beside a question."Do you want to install Google Chrome?"  I carefully Unchecked the box, then clicked on Finish.
  • I then rebooted the computer and voila no more pop-up Chrome!!!
  • I Investigated the mysterious Offers.ini file and discovered that the variables attached to Google Chrome had been changed.
  • So, at least for me that file was the problem, and it could be fixed by updating the program and being careful with checkboxes.
  • Hope this works for others."

I shall struggle with for a few more days before completely uninstalling Avast.

Comments will be gratefully received.  

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

Kindly read my first message.  I described the bothersome calls -- recorded voice message -- like robo calls..

I did. You never referred to the recorded voice message as a call. Rather, you repeatedly referred to it as an "alert". There is a big difference between an alert and an actual phone call.

They arrive between midnight and early morning hours:

Why do I think this issue is related to Avast.  Well, the message states:  Avast Database has been updated.

Before registering for Avast I never received such calls.  

Researching the Internet, I found items that indicate that it could be related to Google Chrome -- see below.  I have Chrome in the iPhone.

I do not understand how it works but there is a connection between Avast and Chrome (which I unknowingly permitted).

Found following in another forum:

• "I am running Win 7 so this may or may not apply to other OS's, but I suspect it will work at least for Windows users.
  • The cause is a file named Offers.ini located in Program Files/AVAST Software/Avast Setup/.  Yeah, it i's not easy to find.  If you look inside (it's a text file and Notepad opens it nicely) you can see a whole list of potential offers with variables that indicate whether or not you were silly enough to say "yes".  Unfortunately I could not edit or rename it, even when I logged in as Administrator. Not sure how Avast managed that little trick.
  • However, despair no!  I found a workaround.  I found that Avast! icon in my "Show hidden icons"" box, right clicked on it and selected Update> and selected Program.  Avast! then updated the program and asked to reboot the computer.  I allowed it to do so and on rebooting, Avast brought up a box which said "Almost finished" and that box had a checked box beside a question."Do you want to install Google Chrome?"  I carefully Unchecked the box, then clicked on Finish.
  • I then rebooted the computer and voila no more pop-up Chrome!!!
  • I Investigated the mysterious Offers.ini file and discovered that the variables attached to Google Chrome had been changed.
  • So, at least for me that file was the problem, and it could be fixed by updating the program and being careful with checkboxes.
  • Hope this works for others."
I shall struggle with for a few more days before completely uninstalling Avast.

Comments will be gratefully received.

Is this the recorded message?

If so, are you sure it is coming from your phone and not the computer?

#5 waqnis

waqnis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Yes!  That is the message.

However, my desktop (Win XP) never displayed the screen or the sound.  It was only the iPhone in which the message arrived

between midnight and 4:00 AM.  The iPhone,too, did not display the on-screen image.

I gave up.  Yesterday. pulled the plug on Avast and installed BitDefender. The iPhone remained silent during the night!  

FYI, I had exchanged messages with Avast tech support without receiving any help. 

I am aware that Avast has many admirers. I don't have good feelings about the sneaky way in which the feature was inserted during installation.  Of course, no excuse for the fact that I failed to detect it.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yes!  That is the message.

However, my desktop (Win XP) never displayed the screen or the sound.  It was only the iPhone in which the message arrived
between midnight and 4:00 AM.  The iPhone,too, did not display the on-screen image.

I gave up.  Yesterday. pulled the plug on Avast and installed BitDefender. The iPhone remained silent during the night!  

FYI, I had exchanged messages with Avast tech support without receiving any help. 

I am aware that Avast has many admirers. I don't have good feelings about the sneaky way in which the feature was inserted during installation.  Of course, no excuse for the fact that I failed to detect it.

That is the normal audio message that Avast plays on your computer when it has completed updating the virus definitions database.

Do you leave the computer on at night? If so, are you sure it is not the computer "playing" that message and you are mistaking it for the phone?

The reason I ask is that if you have Avast set to automatically update the virus definitions, then it will run at night typically (if the computer is on), and that message in the YouTube video in my last post is the message Avast plays on the computer when it has completed the virus database update. I know this because I used to have a Windows computer that I left on 24/7 that ran Avast. I would keep hearing voices in my house in the middle of the night (I live alone). It took me a while to realize it was my computer having the Avast database updated. So, I turned off the speakers when not using the computer and no more voices in my house.

I honestly cannot think as to how that message would be playing on your phone unless you happened to have something like Airfoil running on your computer and then were running something like Airfoil Speakers Touch on your iPhone…and even then for it work, Airfoil Speakers Touch would have to be the active app on your iPhone, I believe. I suppose there might be another way, but if so, then I have no clue as to how.

Regardless, it sounds like you have a solution, so at this point it is more of a curiosity (for me at a least).

#7 waqnis

waqnis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thank you.

The PC with XP (for which I installed Avast) never made a beep about updates.

I am sure it was the iPhone because I sleep with the unit close to my bed and it woke me up.

Cannot explain the technicalities but the post from a different forum that I copied earlier did indicate that the Google Chrome

feature  could have something to do with it.

The bottom line is that I am happy to get rid of it. I make limited use of the PC.  Hopefully, BitDefender would do. 

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Thank you.

The PC with XP (for which I installed Avast) never made a beep about updates.

I am sure it was the iPhone because I sleep with the unit close to my bed and it woke me up.

Cannot explain the technicalities but the post from a different forum that I copied earlier did indicate that the Google Chrome
feature  could have something to do with it.

You never gave a link to the post in another forum. I would be interested in seeing it…just my curious nature.

The bottom line is that I am happy to get rid of it. I make limited use of the PC.  Hopefully, BitDefender would do.

BitDefender should do what you need it to do. I will not claim to be an expert on which anti-virus is best, but it generally gets good reviews if memory serves.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

I know this because I used to have a Windows computer that I left on 24/7 that ran Avast. I would keep hearing voices in my house in the middle of the night (I live alone). It took me a while to realize it was my computer having the Avast database updated

Freaked me out a few times too,  I was hearing it thru headphones so it was kinda WTF lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users