Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if this is a hardware problem or not..

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 glvtch

glvtch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

I've had problems with hardware before (BSoDs). Recently I've been having a problem with my computer just randomly shutting everything off and restarting itself. I lose all my progress on whatever I'm working on (college student) and this is really screwing me over. I never looked at my average temps before but recently my temps have been 35-40C on normal load, and then running a game, web browser, etc. I'm getting 55-60C. I don't know if that's really bad or not. I have at least a 400W psu but I'm pretty sure it has more watts. I have an aftermarket fan on my cpu (not overclocking) and a case fan. And then the rest of these specs I'm going to post from speccy. I've ran tests with malwarebytes and mse but I got nothing. I also checked my driver manager and nothing was out of the ordinary.Tonight I'm going to do chkdsk and memory diagnostics, and I'm currently running malwarebytes rootkit scanner. OH also recently I've noticed my windows (especially on startup) gets laggy. If I go to open a picture into photoshop or anything the windows pop up box where you would select your picture sometimes freezes and stops responding. And on startup it's taking a lot longer than it used to. It feels really delayed and my keyboard (mechanical) slow-types for a minute or two. What I mean is that I type normal speed but the computer inputs the characters very slowly and it's annoying. But I think that's it. Please help me asap because I've got college work to do!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

Your temps are fine for that machine. Have there been any recent changes to the machine?

For the most part, this sounds power related. Do you have a multimeter available? If so, connect the leads to any 12V source (yellow wire and black wire) and see that you are getting a steady 12V.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#3 glvtch

glvtch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

No I don't have a multimeter. But it should be known that I just upgraded from my ~350w psu a few months ago to this new one.

#4 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Well, depending on what that new one is, it may not really have been an upgrade. There are several manufacturers out there selling 400 to 600 watt power supplies that can only deliver 300watts. Even then, they are shaky. For the time being, try using HWMonitor.

Edited by waldojim42, 05 May 2014 - 07:23 AM.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Please download and run who crashed and post the results here.

We need to analyze your operating system's crash dump files to further diagnose what could possibly be crashing your computer system.

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 glvtch

glvtch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Here's the WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)
computer name: ETHAN-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: CM1630, ASUSTeK Computer INC.
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Processor AMD586, level: 16
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8589070336 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1926414336

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

I'm also attaching two pictures from HWMonitor.

Attached Files

• Attached File  pt1.PNG   32.2KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  pt2.PNG   5.8KB   0 downloads

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

One of those temps is high but I think it is an incorrect reading by HWmonitor. I believe this is a power related issue. You mention you have at least a 400w psu? You should have at least a 550w psu for your cpu and 660gtx video card. Please let us know the make and model psu.

Edited by zingo156, 07 May 2014 - 07:28 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 glvtch

glvtch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Ok I was WAY off. I have a 600W psu haha. My bad guys. Here is the link to the psu though. I've only had this for like 4-5 months I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152041

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

No I don't have a multimeter. But it should be known that I just upgraded from my ~350w psu a few months ago to this new one.

Was there any specific reason that you upgraded your psu? Do you have a different psu you could test with?

It might be worth running a memtest86 to test your ram. You can download and burn it to a disc, then boot to the disc: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

The other thing you could try to rule out a windows problem would be to boot to a linux disc. Mint is usually what I recommend as it is not too big and should support most hardware:

Run memtest86 first before linux... Linux deals with bad ram better than windows from my experience, if you have a bad stick of ram, the computer may run fine in linux but crash with windows. I had this happen myself. I ran linux for 2 years (no problems) and had no idea I had bad ram until I tried to load windows, I got BSOD and then ran memtest and found out 1 stick of ram was bad.

#10 glvtch

glvtch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Well I had problems before with my computer just randomly shutting off and then not wanting to turn on, and people said it could be my psu so I just swapped it out cause it was like 350-400w so I needed a different one anyways. I've also had bad ram before and I replaced it with the ram I currently have and then a stick of that ram went bad so I just have one stick in now.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Are you certain it was the stick of ram that went bad and not the slot? I generally recommend testing 1 known good stick with memtest86 in all of your mainboard slots. In most newer systems the ram controller is built into the cpu so it is also possible to have a cpu problem causing ram issues. Also sometimes 1 stick will work in each slot but then when you have 2 sticks in dual channel mode errors occur, if this is the case, more than likely the cpu (ram controller portion) has a problem. Just some added things to try. I would also try linux to rule out software.

Generally shut downs with no error report are due to power problems though this is not always the case.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

FWIW:  The max operating temp range for your CPU...is 55-62 Celsius.

I'd say that you need to remove current paste and reapply, reseat the heatsink/fan.

Louis

#13 glvtch

glvtch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

I tried the ram in different slots and still got errors so I think it was the ram. And after removing it I stopped getting BSODs. I think the ram just went bad because it worked for a while and then just started causing BSODs. I have the stuff to reapply the thermal paste but not on me. It won't damage to run for about another week at this temp will it?

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

Double check that it isn't just dust in the heat sync first. Those chips can sometimes get really stuck to the heat sync and can be a pain to get out without damaging pins etc.

It very well could be a temperature related problem... If you leave HWmonitor running when playing games, what was the highest temp you have seen?

#15 glvtch

glvtch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Haven't tried. I clean out my computer around once a month with an air can or whatever those things are called. I'll play a game and see what my temps are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users