Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new Win 8 laptop, hardware problem???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

A couple of months ago I bought for our office a Dell  laptop, and another for myself.  The office one has been in regular daily use.  Not so my own at home.  Best I can remember, I turned it on a few times, so know it worked, but for many weeks I haven't had time to think about setting up a personal (as distinct from business) computer.  So this laptop has been sitting unused for at least five or six weeks.  It has been inside a padded case (brand new Swissgear one) and has not been moved around or subjected to any kind of mechanical or environmental abuse.

So late this Sunday afternoon I decided to try to set it up, install my favorite software and so on.  Plugged the charger into the wall and into the computer.  Left it for an hour or so.  Then tried to turn it on.  Lights come on on the front, there is a faint sound which might be the hard drive spinning up, and then it emits a regular low-toned chirp at about two second intervals.  That's all.  Nothing lights up on the screen (I would expect to see first a Dell logo, and then some kind of start or login screen).  Is it possible the battery is so flat it won't run?  even though it's plugged into the wall and the luminous ring around the charger connector is lit up?

If it matters, both laptops are Dell Inspiron 15R.  The one in the office has an i3 processor, 4GB of memory and a 500 GB hard drive; the one at home an i7 processor, more memory (12 GB I think) and a bigger hard drive.  Both were purchased from COSTCO on the same day.

I could leave it plugged in, and try again tomorrow evening?  So far it's been plugged in about 2 hours and nothing has changed.

Or I could call Dell service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

If your laptop is still under warranty (and it sounds like it is) I would definitely call Dell and have them make it right.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Try removing AC power and the battery, then hold down the power button for 15 seconds.  Now reassemble and see if it boots normally.  This works for HP laptops, but I don't have enough experience with Dell laptops to know if it will work for them.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Try removing AC power and the battery, then hold down the power button for 15 seconds.  Now reassemble and see if it boots normally.  This works for HP laptops, but I don't have enough experience with Dell laptops to know if it will work for them.

This should work on most if not all laptops.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Monster X

Monster X

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

You should try to boot your laptop first
else it is in warenty period

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'll try this when I get home.  Being insatiably curious, of course I want to know how and why it works?

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Unfortunately that didn't work.  Any other suggestions, before I call Dell?

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

After much telephoning, the computer is going back to Dell for diagnosis and repair/replacement.  Nothing anyone suggested (which basically covered the same suggestions already made here) would awake it from the dead.  I should have it back in ten days or so (or so Dell said) and will then report the diagnosis.

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

I bet they won't even tell you what was wrong with it

#10 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I bet you're right.  I did ask that question, while I was on the phone with Dell.  They said it would all be in the report.  We shall see :)

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Update: got a phone call from Dell, about 7 a.m. Friday 5/23, telling me that the computer had arrived there via FedEx.  About ten minutes later I got another call from Dell, saying they had repaired the computer and sent it back via FedEx (tracking number supplied).  When it gets here it will be interesting to compare serial numbers (I still have the original box it came in).

I guess the thing to do is update to Win 8.1 immediately, before installing anything else.  We live and (sometimes) learn ...

#12 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Next update: The computer came back on Tuesday 5/27.  Prompt service!  They installed a new motherboard, and of course a new copy of Windows 8 with a new digital key.  The strip with the key on it had been removed from the DKC and pasted on the bottom of the computer, so I am presuming they already activated the installation (haven't had time to find out yet).

Question arising, what do do in what order?  I suppose first, activate if not already activated.  Then, before anything else, run the free update to Win 8.1.  Only after that, install new programs and make other changes I want.  Am I correct?

Thanks for enlightenment!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users