Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I re-install windows 7 without a disc?...also using new storage drive (SSD)?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Fox

Lone Fox

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hello, just wondering if I where to buy a used notebook (Windows 7) will I be able to reinstall/re-format the computer to like new condition. I take it most notebooks do not come with CDs anymore, so I'm not sure what to expect. 

Also, I will want to swap the HDD with a SSD, will that cause any issues? It would be difficult to go back to using a HDD.

I do not currently have a computer, my place was broken into and they stole my W8 Samsung notebook, and other items/electronics. I don't want to invest into a new notebook, plus I kind of miss W7 compared to W8.

I know someone will mention a recovery partition, but lets say the computer doesn't have one, am I able to still burn a ISO file in this day of age (2014)? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Any notebook will come with either recovery disks...or a partition which allows restoration of the laptop to same condition it was when initially purchased.

"Used" implies that you are possibly buying system from an individual...in which case, it's to your benefit to ask such questions of that person.  In fact...whomever you buy said system from...should answer such questions before sale becomes final.

Louis

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,004 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads | Windows 7 Forums

Available for those who currently have Microsoft Windows 7 with Genuine Activation Keys. These are the legitimate downloads, full ISO image to burn to a good quality blank DVD using any good image burning program such as ImgBurn or the like.

These ISO image download have Service Pack 1 integrated into the installation setup, so therefore there is no need to separately install SP1 after the initial install of Windows 7.

Gotta make sure the used computer has a copy of Windows 7 installed, a recovery partition or visible and readable activation key

or you will NOT be able to use these downloads without paying for Windows 7.....

From what I have read, it is best to do a clean install on a SSD. Fewer problems and better results than cloning.

Edited by buddy215, 04 May 2014 - 09:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Lone Fox

Lone Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

I just received my new (used) notebook in the mail; ebay bid winner.

Although, I have a problem... notebook does not have a RECOVERY partition, only a 'system reserved' and '(C:)'.

I found the ASUS manual online, and it appears that the computer originally came with a RECOVERY partition, but yeah... it is not there on my computer.

Are you saying without the RECOVERY partition I will not be able to install via the ISO? I receive a (error) message during the installation and it will not let me go any further. 

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,004 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Since Windows 7 is not installed and you have no Windows 7 installation files in the Recovery partition, you have 

two options. Purchase a Windows 7 DVD or make one. You must have an activation key in order to do a legitimate

install using the ISO file from the link I provided in my first post. Do you have a readable activation key somewhere on

the laptop? Sometimes the stickers get worn beyond readable.

If you do not have an activation key then it would be best to purchase a Windows 7 DVD.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Lone Fox

Lone Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Windows 7 is installed and works great, but there is some strange files and file names scatter around. I REALLY want a fresh install.

I tried ISO files that I downloaded from digitalriver (as linked via Microsoft answers)

I tried two different burning programs

I tried both my internal DVD drive, and a external one.

Then I tried running the ISO files in a virtual box, and still get the same error message, so I guess it is the ISO file. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I also tried a borrowed Windows 8 OEM disc, and it took me all the way to the partition section with no error message; of course I canceled the install.

I may just go ahead and by a OEM disc, this notebook is actually really nice - still looks like new and even has that new smell, which is interesting considering its age. ... It is like new, no exaggeration.

Edited by Lone Fox, 09 May 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,004 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Sounds like you have either a bad burn or the DVD disk is bad. Try burning another using ImgBurn. I have always found

it to be most reliable. The Official ImgBurn Website

You can be sure that ImgBurn is not bundled with adware by getting the download from Ninite. It's under the Utilities category.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

I would suggest strongly to create an image of your present Windows 7 install or use a different hdd with the present hdd

disconnected from its power source before attempting to do a new install.

You can find your Windows Activation Key by using Magic Jelly Bean if you need to.

KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,004 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I meant to ask too, if you have attempted to install updates for the Windows 7 and if you had was installing successful.

#9 Lone Fox

Lone Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

ImgBurn was actually the first program I used.

Regardless, I'm ticked off and went ahead and purchased a W7 OEM disc, Amazon.com next day delivery (Saturday)... I think my friend wants his PC back tomorrow.

I meant to ask too, if you have attempted to install updates for the Windows 7 and if you had was installing successful.

I have not, but I noticed some windows updates in the system restore history log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users