Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offline advertising

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weaver00

weaver00

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

I use Avast antivirus and am very pleased with the free version, but at regular intervals an advert will pop up urging me to buy or try other products from them. This happens when I am not on line, but when I search for pop up blockers they all seem to block adverts from websites. How can I stop adverts from products that I am using rather than those coming from web sites ?

Thanks, weaver00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 summer_sun

summer_sun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

I think that you cant really block those ads, and honestly you're using the free version as in you didnt pay a single penny but are enjoying the product, so sometimes adv should be fine eh?

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

I use the free Avast, and do not see any promotional material. Where did you source the installer from? Some download sources may supply an installer in a "wrapper" which will have an obscure opt-out of advertizing which is easy to miss. Even the standard installation can include some type of promotion which you need to opt out of during the setup. Did you choose the default setup, or did you do the Custom Install, and un-check any of the options you don't want such as toolbars?

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users