Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello from Minnesota

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 laurieswenson

laurieswenson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Greetings!

I hail from Minnesota. I have had a number of bleeping computers, up to and including my current Windows 7 model (which I had to buy online to avoid Windows 8). I love tech stuff, and while I wouldn't call myself an early adopter (although I did buy an Amazon Fire TV early on), I like to say I'm an "eventual adopter," as I buy gadgets when they get cheaper. :) I have a Windows 7 laptop (which I bought after giving my Windows 8 one to my granddaughter for Christmas), a Nook Tablet, Nook Color, Kindle 2, Wii, Amazon Fire TV, Roku XS, and various other fun things, plus old stuff including Atari 2600, Atari 800 XL, NES (I need to set that up so I can play Zanac), PS1 and N64, along with real oldies like a Timex Sinclar I got from a friend and have not tried yet. Oh, and I still have Pong, but no idea if it still works. I also have a couple of old laptops I bought for $25 that had been wiped and Linux installed; at some point I hope to figure out Linux, inspired by all the people I know who say the answer to Windows problems is "install Linux." :)

I joined the Internet in 1996, a year after our community got connected. I used IRC and Usenet and had a Geocities page back in the day. I got a million points in Laser Blast but never sent in a pic of the TV to earn a patch from Activision; I have played most of the Infocom text adventure games and still go back to them now and then; My favorite video game is The Legend of Zelda. I like some new games but always liked and still like old-school games that fit on a floppy disk. I'm not a big fan of quests (outside of  the first three Zelda games) and hate waiting for stories within games (no patience whatsoever), but have watched my son play Disgaea, Portal, etc., for the stories.

I've been a newspaper reporter/copy editor for the past three decades, but quit a year ago to move in with and help out my parents. So, now I'm living the dream in my parents' basement. (I helped them buy a house in town that has a basement apartment. Living in a basement apartment under your parents is a big step above living in a bedroom down the hall. So, between selling some old crappy properties they own, sorting out their finances, moving, downsizing, I'm busier than I was when I worked full time, even with crazy reporter hours. I do a little freelance writing and will get back into that more as life gets simpler for my parents and I don't have to do as much stuff.

I have two kids, a granddaughter, three cats (my parents have two, so we have five between the two floors, and they wander, except for my parents' Burmese, who hates my cats) and a giraffe collection.

And I have no idea if this is a typical or acceptable introduction. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

:welcome: to BC laurieswenson. Glad to have you here!!

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users