Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wrong Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jlmccomas

jlmccomas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

I did something wrong and now my computer shows an icon for a photo program and will not open the wanted program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Care to elaborate further on the problem? We can't help you if you give us a vague description of your problem.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 jlmccomas

jlmccomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Most of the shortcut icons on the desktop changed from their normal thumbnail to the same one, looked like one used to open a photo viewer.   When I clicked on one (AOL, for example), viewer would come on the screen and say it couldn't open the file.    Later, I somehow got all of these icons to change to the AOL thumbnail.

Not sure what I did to cause my computer to make this change.  It happened on my wife's computer about two years ago and we ended up calling the "Geek squad"

I am running Windows 7, pro edition.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

This may fix your problem. The fix is for when some of your icons have gone generic. http://www.pcworld.com/article/258597/windows_icons_suddenly_looking_generic_heres_the_fix.html 

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

Thank you for elaborating further, would you mind posting a screenshot of the icons in questions if the above doesn't work?

Might help us troubleshoot the issue

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 jlmccomas

jlmccomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for sending the PC article.   I was able to correct my problem by restoring to an date several days before the mishap.  I would still like to know what I did wrong -- don't want to do it again.

#7 colin2280

colin2280

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem.

We were able to do a System restore after “turning off” the anti virus for a short time. Not able to do a system restore with the anti virus “running”.

Google help with this problem for us. Found the following information.

"Microsoft Office Picture Icon took over ALL my Icons on the desktop. Now when I click on those icons (no matter what they were/are) it goes directly to the Microsoft Office Picture program. How can I change these icons back to there original programs?

This happens if someone has used the "Open With" option to associate .lnk or .exe files accidentally with Office Picture Manager. After this, all your .exe files will be associated with Office Picture and will open with it."

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/3xx11-microsoft-office-picture-icon-took-icons.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users