Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

validate windows 7 "web browser not configured to run required script."

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 somae

somae

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

In trying to validate windows 7 professional I get the message: "your web browser may not be configured to run the required script.".  We have, and I was using internet explorer 11. We also have the 971033 update.

Help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

At what website...are you trying to validate Windows?

Louis

#3 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/what-is-validation

There's a button at the bottom of the page that says "validate now". It then goes to the page that shows the error message, although today, when I tried it, it went to a page that asked for a password for a windows live account. I didn't trust it and went back to the 1st page and clicked the "validate" button again, and this time it went to the error message.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

I receive the following when trying to validate while in XP, using Mozilla:

Validation Status: Action Required
The validation process cannot continue because your web browser is not configured to run the script required by the validation process. To extend the functionality of a Mozilla-based Web browser, you can download the required plug-in and continue with the validation
The following will help you fix this problem and continue with validation.

• In the WgaPluginInstaller.exe pop up window, select Save File.
  • Open the .exe and follow the steps to install the plug-in.
  • Once the plug-in is installed, click the Refresh button below to verify that the plug-in loaded correctly.

Refresh
    Windows Genuine Advantage Plug-in loaded correctly.
  • If the message shows that the plug-in loaded correctly, then click the Continue button below to resume the validation process.

Continue
  • If the message does not show that the plug-in is loaded correctly, you have two options. You may click on the Continue to learn why the plug-in failed to install. Otherwise, you may click the Validate Now button below to launch the alternate validation process (optimized for browsers unable to run the original validation script).

Validate Now

When I try to validate using IE 11 and Win 7, I get nowhere.  It's a webpage problem.  Let it go.

Louis

#5 somae

somae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Maybe I'll try using google chrome. When I try to validate windows 7 using firefox it doesn't go to the .exe file but goes directly to the validate page which hangs and doesn't finish.

Do you think that it's ok to keep using xp?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm still running a dual-boot of XP and Win 7 on two different systems...with no problems.

I would not recommend following my example for most users...I've never had a  problem with system security, vulnerabilities, exploits, etc.  If I do, I'll just delete my XP install from each system.  You have to remember...there are persons out there still running Win 9x OSes, so it's not like a time bomb has come and has begun its countdown.  But, from a security standpoint, an unsupported O/S is theoretically more vulnerable than one being routinely used and patched. 

But...it seems to me that those misanthropes busy creating malware...focus on easy prey and volume...when deciding targets.  There's no future or fun in writing malware for Win 98 in 2014, so it probably doesn't happen often...I suspect the same is or will be true for XP.  Since MS is pushing the 8-series of Windows...that would be the logical target for me (especially considering the naivete of new users) were I into being a computer sociopath.

Bottom line for me...I back up, I can reinstall with no problems/angst...so I can take all the chances that I want to :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users