Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 and Unreliable Wifi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Viking62

Viking62

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Seems like here we go again.

Seriously, is there a compatibility issue with Windows 8 and wifi adapters?

I think this is the 3rd laptop running windows 8 that we have had that cant seem to stay connected via wifi.

The other 2 are no longer with us.

This laptop is still under warranty but I DREAD contacting tech support.

Anyway its a DELL Inspiron 15 3521. Running windows 8.1. Wifi adapter is Atheros Communication Inc. 1705 802.11b/g/n 2.4ghz. Wifi drivers are up to date.

What happens is signal strength will fluctuate and sometimes loses connection. This will happen even when computer is close to router. Does not happen to any other device connected to router.

This laptop was sent back to dell before and they replaced wifi adapter and I believe the main board. Worked great for a couple of months. Previously it would stay connected to router but lose internet connection.

Every laptop with windows 8 we have had, regardless of manufacturer, has had wifi related problems. Two were/are dells and one was an HP.

We have NO issues with any other device connected to same router. Iphones, Ipods, Windows 7, dell, lenovo, XP, Xbox etc etc.

Just anything with windows 8 is an issue.

Thanks again, Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hi

there is a known issue exist with "Windows 8" and some WiFi cards. the solution is to turning of the wireless card's power management feature. You might want to give it a try.

http://www.mkyong.com/computer-tips/windows-8-keeps-dropping-wifi-connection/

#3 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Thanks. We had already checked power management settings.

I had also checked to make sure adapter was seated properly and wiring was secure. No luck.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

When I first got this computer, at the end of 2013_12, I had an OCCASIONAL issue with WiFi, but nothing that a reboot didn't resolve.  Now that I went to a boxed copy of Windows 8.1 (30 days after I bought the computer), I've never had an issue again.

Best of luck.

#5 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

My son just finished with Dell. He seems to think they fixed it. He was on the phone for about 2 hours. My experience tells me it takes a lot longer and a lot more calls than that to fix it. But we will see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users