Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

prerequisites for taking the malware training course here?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kylejw1990

kylejw1990

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

What is the level of knowledge do you want people to have before signing up to the classes? I have read the forum and didn't see too much as far as what you would like/expect trainees to know before starting. I intend to sign up but want to make sure I am caught up first :)

As far as my background goes, i have an Assoc. in computer programming. i have clean some viruses off computers before simply by googleing programs or services that looked "suspicious". I dont have much knowledge about the registry which is probably the biggest thing i need to look into and learn about...

anyways thanks ahead of time to anyone that responds and have a wonderful day!

kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi kyle,

we aim the training to be doable for anyone that knows how to turn on a PC. There are very little prerequisites asked, mostly we look at whether a people can communicate well and if they will fit into the community here. A good knowledge of Windows is of advantage, but not mandatory.
There will be a registry section in the training once you make it to Junior Level. So it is not something we expect you to know a priori, but it is something we want you to know by the time you graduate. :)

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 kylejw1990

kylejw1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

sir yes sir! Is there a "programming" section to the course? also how strict are you on the 20 posts requirement?

i have been reading a lot of the posts on these forums but i usually dont post much unless i am having trouble fixing a computer and need assistance.

thanks

kyle

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

The 20 posts requirement is a hard limit, you won't be able to apply unless you have those. If you think an exception should be made you can contact either me or Elise with the details.

There is no programming course incorporated in the training program. There are however many free sites which teach you to program that we can recommend if you're interested.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 kylejw1990

kylejw1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

no no thats alright. i am just trying to get a feel for what the program offers. Thanks for getting back to me so quick and if you have a good registry training site or videos(something like that) that would be wonderful!!

thanks

kyle

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hi kyle,

You may want to check some of these links out for a basic overview (covers what you will eventually need to know if you do decide):

These cover the basics, and there will be similar reading material to this at the registry section. You do not need prior knowledge, speaking from a graduate of BC's training program, as the exercises lead you into learning about this.

Regards,

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 kylejw1990

kylejw1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

ok awsome. i will look through these thank you

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

Hi Kyle,

You are welcome, good luck.

Regards,
xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

Keep in mind Kyle that completion of this training takes a sincere commitment on your part to devote the necessary time and energy to your studies. Our Malware Study Hall staff and instructors are comprised of some of the best experts in this business....they will teach everything you need to know but it will be up to you to follow through from start to graduation.

With that said, I too wish you good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users